Sign in to follow this  

School me on the Husky XC

i have been looking for a old but new to me husky for some time..i do not want an all out race bike with high compression...just a decent woods/cow trail bike...would the husky XC fit the bill?....or is it as well a high compression monster....would the WR be compatible?....just need some info on all these different husky alphanumeric disgnations..thanks..god speed

I ride a WR 250 , she is no bother when treated with respect, its as fast as your right hand will let it go............ even though mine bit me:worthy:

depends on what year and size...

the XC is a cross crountry model, close ratio down low 1st-3rd, then wide up top.

a bit taller suspension, close to the CR..lighting coil.

the head on the CR WR and XC is pretty much the same, so no real compression issues.

however...the 78 to 80 OR has its own head, pipe, intake ect..kind of a one off so to speak.

unless your looking to collect, id avoid getting an OR...{off road} thats pretty much an early XC.

if your looking at the 81 83 XC not a bad choice, if you can find one cheap...good luck.

84 to 88 XC is hit and miss, the issues to look for, are, water pump issues until 87, electrics all years, and radiator problems..

thanks....id buy a new bike but the damn things are just too tall for a 5'10 guy like myself....i miss the days of 17 inch rear wheels and 19 inch fronts...luckily i have several of those old bikes in my garage from 36 years ago...no water cooled crap will ever be in my garage either...so i guess 81 to 83 husky fits the bill.....i remember the day suzuki came out with water cooling...no fins what a shock then..i also remember the carter years so i am dating myself here...thanks again..god speed

I rode my 79 CR250 in some single track a few times and it was so light and flick-able it was like a 125 only better and it held its line so well it again was very safe and easy to ride n the semi-gnarly stuff ... Ground clearance was a shorter than todays bikes but it was really cool riding it out there... I had to keep the RPMs up on the high side but that again was not a problem ... :banana:

These models are 6-speed trannies...

The Husky XC250 (1982) is very fast, tall, and long. Parts are not easy to find either. If you want a Husky just to use as a daily trail rider, I suggest getting a left over 2008 or 2009 model. If you want a Post Vintage racer then the XC250 would be fine.

The Husky XC250 (1982) is very fast, tall, and long. Parts are not easy to find either. If you want a Husky just to use as a daily trail rider, I suggest getting a left over 2008 or 2009 model. If you want a Post Vintage racer then the XC250 would be fine.

X2 what Dwight said!

The current 2010 WR model goes back to 2005 and what I mean by that is all the plastic and parts are similar and interchangeable with the exception of the KYB forks and triple clamps on the 2010 WR250 model.

The late 70s and early 80s Huskys are cool, but they really don't compare to the newer Italian engined Husqvarnas.

If you want to do it on the cheap, look for a 2005 model WR250... and then find a 1995 thru 2003 WR250 parts bike on CraigsList or in the broken bike pile behind a bike shop... the nice thing about the italian Huskys is most of the hard parts are interchange between 1992 and 2010. Lots of years lots of bikes... GREAT MOTOR!

Good luck on your quest. :banana:

BlipBlip/HuskyRips