Sign in to follow this  

YZ 250 Clutch Sticking

It just may be that I need to ride my bike, but recently I fried my new clutch on the Malcolm Smith Soboba Invitational Trail Ride. I recently replaced the clutch plates and friction plates, changed oil, etc. and gears have engaged again. The problem is, no matter what tension I set on the cable, the wheel turns when in gear with the clutch depressed. What do you guys think, just needs a ride or two, or am I missing something?:thumbsup:

"the wheel turns"

How much? If it's grabbing to the point of the bike is stalling if you don't move then yes you have a problem.

If it's slowly turning when on a stand, normal, if it's creeping just ever so slightly but you can hold the bike back and the bike is not stalling, normal.

Set the cable tension so that it has 2mm of slack in the clutch lever. If you make it too tight then the clutch will constantly be slipping, rubbing the discs together, instead of fully engaged (locked up and not spinning). If it constantly slips you get an overworked clutch, plates get too hot, warp, and they wear, causing grabbing and eventually slipping..

check your clutch basket for grooving, i went through that problem a long time ago with my 125.

I had the same problem, had to replace both the basket and the inner hub as

both were notched.

I have the same issue on my 04 yz125. If it doesn't bother me is it ok to continue riding it or it may cause more damage?

If it's grabbing then it will get worse over time, depending how hard you dump the clutch or how often you are using it. Mine has been grabbing slightly since I have bought the bike in November of last year, it has not gotten worse but certainly has not gotten better.

I wouldn't worry about any crazy damage happening if you ignore it, but in the end there will come a time when it will start stalling the bike with the clutch being held in and wear out plates quicker than normal. This is the longest you can wait IMO