Hare Scrambles in Northern CO and Southern WY

Well, I've decided to make it a personal goal to participate in and finish a hare scramble this year. I'm 31 yrs old and not getting any younger, I've raced snowmobiles (ice, Snocross, and cross country) in my late teens/early 20's and know very well that feeling of accomplishment of winning and or of finishing something like this and I want it again. Make no mistakes I have no delusions of actually winning, personally I think finishing would be like winning for me at this point. That and it's the best personal motivator I can come up with to get myself in better shape than I've ever been in and have it be fun and challanging.

Now that said I really don't think I'll be prepared in time for the last race of the season at VDR so I'm looking for something a little later on in the summer in Northern CO or Southern, WY (farther away if necessary) so I can set a target date for my first attempt and a subsequent attempt if possible should I not make it through the first one. ? I really like VDR's track format as I'm not affraid of the MX track but I am of trees :ride: but I just don't think I'll be ready in time.

Is there anyone that can get me some links to organizations that are holding hare scrambles in the area that might fit the time frame a little better? Say July, Aug, Sept ??? maybe even June but that may still be cutting it close. I want to get a lot of seat time in this spring too before I attempt this.

Also any tips, or advice on preparring would be very helpful.

I've also considered trying an Enduro but I just don't want to have to think about time, tests, etc. Deffinately don't want to go the MX route as my bike just isn't setup for it and I'd kill myself.

Thanks in advance,

Shawn

Well, I've decided to make it a personal goal to participate in and finish a hare scramble this year. I'm 31 yrs old and not getting any younger, I've raced snowmobiles (ice, Snocross, and cross country) in my late teens/early 20's and know very well that feeling of accomplishment of winning and or of finishing something like this and I want it again. Make no mistakes I have no delusions of actually winning, personally I think finishing would be like winning for me at this point. That and it's the best personal motivator I can come up with to get myself in better shape than I've ever been in and have it be fun and challanging.

Now that said I really don't think I'll be prepared in time for the last race of the season at VDR so I'm looking for something a little later on in the summer in Northern CO or Southern, WY (farther away if necessary) so I can set a target date for my first attempt and a subsequent attempt if possible should I not make it through the first one. :banana: I really like VDR's track format as I'm not affraid of the MX track but I am of trees? but I just don't think I'll be ready in time.

Is there anyone that can get me some links to organizations that are holding hare scrambles in the area that might fit the time frame a little better? Say July, Aug, Sept ??? maybe even June but that may still be cutting it close. I want to get a lot of seat time in this spring too before I attempt this.

Also any tips, or advice on preparring would be very helpful.

I've also considered trying an Enduro but I just don't want to have to think about time, tests, etc. Deffinately don't want to go the MX route as my bike just isn't setup for it and I'd kill myself.

Thanks in advance,

Shawn

I don't think anyone is ever ready for the first hare scramble of the season.

Regards,

Thomas

hahahaha, you guys obviously don't know how bad of shape I'm in, I appreciate the encouragement though.

Seriously though I'm not that bad off but I do need to shed a few more lbs and up my cardio level a bit more. I'm 6'1" and currently 240, Ideally I'd like to drop that down to about 225 before I try this but IDK :banana: Cardio is good and getting better but I really don't want my first HS attempt to end early because I'm fat and out of shape. I don't like failure in any way shape or form.

My biggest problem is that I haven't even been on my bike since about November, that and it's in a million pieces right now. hopefully all my parts will be in this week but I don't think my motor will be back yet. It started out as an 05 MXC 450 but is getting built into a 570 w/EXC trans and a ton of pretty parts. I'm not building it to go after HS racing as the primary goal or I would have just sold it and bought a 300 XC.

But I will definitely make it out there to watch one soon and try and get a gauge of where I'd be at. I also work in TX 10 days on and 4 days off at home so I'm only there every other weekend until May so it severely limits my riding time until May when I start getting home every weekend.

I'm hoping to ride in my first Hare & Hound this fall. This will give me time to work out and get in better shape.

I've watched a couple of races last year. You can ride parts of the track out at VDR. They used to have a track map on their web site; I haven't checked it out lately.

:banana:

If we get a nice weekend coming up we should try to meet up at VDR and I could show you guys the typical course. This weekend is no good for me but the next two might work out for me. We'll have to see what the weather has for us.

Really the HS at VDR is only as hard as you make it to be. If you want to go all out for two hours you can. If you want to just go out and make a lot of turns and take your time you can. Really after the 2nd and especially after the 3rd lap of the race the course is long enough you might only see a few riders around you the entire ride.

Thanks, track was much wider in the field sections than I thought it would be. Looks like a ball though. I wish I could make it out for one of this seasons races there now, but Work just isn't going to allow it.