Sign in to follow this  

Oil/spooge from piston

I have taken the top of the head off to reveal my piston, when i operate the kick start a few times a slow build up of black oil or what seems to be a mix of oil and fuel is coming up from the edges of my piston. Would this suggest my piston ring is bad?

Also if i can see the top of my piston and i kick it am i meant to see petrol going on to the top of the piston because other than the black looking liquid i see building up round the edges my piston stays dry. would this mean a blockage in the carb or is this correct??

Thanks in advance.

The piston is meant to draw in fuel vapor, not raw gas, so no, you should not see raw fuel on the piston.

Why did you take the head off in the first place? Has the engine been smoking/burning oil?

The cylinder walls "should be" coated with a light coat of oil to prevent seizure. How much "build up" you're seeing around the piston as it comes up is hard to visualize and diagnose from your description.

Are you sure it's not oil from the head that found its way into the cylinder when you took the head off?

okay from what your saying it should be all rite, there isn't much build up just a noticeable amount. I took it apart because the bike wont start and sometimes backfires when kicking. Took the plug out and it was jet black so i wanted to check the piston.

the bike wont start
wat kind of bike?

probably another damn honda having intake valve problems :banana::banghead::lol:

hope not then he would have problems since there is premix oil in the cylinder lol

hope not then he would have problems since there is premix oil in the cylinder lol

ah, I didnt see that part :banana:

or.. maybe hes putting 1 cap of premix oil into a full tank of gas just to help with the intake seats :lol:

Hahaa, nope its not a honda with intake problems. Its a husky WRE125, only a little motor.... but its not to bad when its running!

The usual.... was fine then and is not now. Was going along one day about 30mph and it just died n then i managed to bump it again before i stopped dead but 30 seconds later it dies again. I have a feeling it might simply be a bad spark but not sure.

I have a feeling it might simply be a bad spark plug

95% of the time on 2 strokes it IS the spark plug. theyre such simple engines that its usually the spark plug is the weak point. you should always check/replace the plug before taking the engine apart IMO.

if you have a 125 down put a set of rings in it, and a piston if you have the money

Yep, spark plug is the first thing to think of. I bet that was your problem all along. You might be jetted/tuned a little rich too. A properly jetted 2 stroke can go a long time without fouling a plug.

Every 2 stroke rider should carry an extra plug and a wrench with them.

Hahaa, nope its not a honda with intake problems. Its a husky WRE125, only a little motor.... but its not to bad when its running!

The usual.... was fine then and is not now. Was going along one day about 30mph and it just died n then i managed to bump it again before i stopped dead but 30 seconds later it dies again. I have a feeling it might simply be a bad spark but not sure.