Sign in to follow this  

Lets go through this. Couple of items.(trailering and clutch)

I trailered my bike to AR. 12 hours. When i got there it was a hard start (flooded), and i didnt think to turn the petcock before leaving. Is there a correct position for when trailering?

Second and most important to me at this time, is the fact that it was a hard start due to over fueling while bouncing around? That is my thought, but also it seemed like my clutch wasnt grabbing good all day and i was worried about a fried clutch. The oil looks good and clean but if there was gas in the oil would i see a slipping clutch? I would think it would would take quite a bit of fuel to give adverse affects but i could be wrong.

I am going to take it apart this week and measure the cutch for wear but there is only 4500 miles on the bike. I am the second owner so who knows what the previous owner did, but reading up on how good the factory clutch is has me thinking its something else. The cable was a bit tight so loosened it up and went for a ride when i got home (again a hard start) but it seemed fine in higher gears where i was seeing issues of slippage before.?

TIA

If it's an S or SM leave the petcock in the on position.

Is the oil over full or does it smell like gas?

It does smell a bit like gas but its not overpowering...

Its not over full from what i can tell. I would need to check it again the proper way to know for sure.

I did a search before posting but didnt see much about clutch issues. Heck from what i can see this clutch is very good from the factory.

It would be a bit of a relief to know that gas would have an ill effect on the clutch performance at this point, as i have already invested a ton in this bike.

Is it possible that the petcock even when left in the "on" position would leak while bouncing around on the trailer for 12 hours.? I would imagine the best way for me to solve this would be to clamp the fuel line while trailering ( use just a larger binder clip )..

Yes its an "S".........................

Petcocks can leak when in the on position allowing fuel to contamiate the oil, it's pretty common. Usually causes hard starting when warm. I would think it could efffect clutch operation as well.

I should add that this morning while unloading the bike i went to start it and seemed to be locked up. The starter wouldnt push the engine over and i have the bigger battery in there. I bumped the bike in gear and tried the starter again and it fired right up but spewed fuel out of the little hole before the exhaust canister. So it was definetly vapor locked.

Looks like i may just put something inline or pinch it closed while it sits. I drained the oil and it did smell a bit, but there were no signs of dark contamination (clutch pieces)..

Maybe this was just a "bad oil" experience.

I'm still pulling the clutch tomorrow and measuring / inspecting. Although after just pulling the cover it doesnt appear to smell like a burnt clutch nor does it look worn. Measurements will tell.

Edited by Dntouch

It does smell a bit like gas but its not overpowering...

Its not over full from what i can tell. I would need to check it again the proper way to know for sure.

I did a search before posting but didnt see much about clutch issues. Heck from what i can see this clutch is very good from the factory.

It would be a bit of a relief to know that gas would have an ill effect on the clutch performance at this point, as i have already invested a ton in this bike.

Is it possible that the petcock even when left in the "on" position would leak while bouncing around on the trailer for 12 hours.? I would imagine the best way for me to solve this would be to clamp the fuel line while trailering ( use just a larger binder clip )..

Yes its an "S".........................

If the petcock lever is pointing down, this is the PRI(prime)mode and should only be used to refill an empty floatbowl or draining the fuel tank. Pull the fuel hose off the petcock(while the bike is shut off)with the petcock turned to the ON position and check for gas dripping. And or drain float bowl before trailering.

If the petcock lever is pointing down, this is the PRI(prime)mode and should only be used to refill an empty floatbowl or draining the fuel tank. Pull the fuel hose off the petcock(while the bike is shut off)with the petcock turned to the ON position and check for gas dripping. And or drain float bowl before trailering.

Thanks i will try that. Simple enough test.

What effect does gas in oil have on clutch usage? Obviously something adverse..

I would change the oil, clean the air filter and air box to remove any fuel that may be remaining & check the petcock, it's bad. The clutch is most likely ok.

Thanks i will try that. Simple enough test.

What effect does gas in oil have on clutch usage? Obviously something adverse..

Contaminated fiber clutch plates usually won't work very well, depending how bad the contamination, if your clutch slips all of a sudden with proper adjustment, I'd look to replace the fibers and de-glaze the metal plates. Buy a Suzuki shop manual, even at $100plus, it'll save you much more in the longrun.