Sign in to follow this  

Clutch problem?

Went to take my bike off the truck this mornin and had it in gear, but when i pulled in the clutch the bike wouldnt move. I put it in neutral and rolled it off the truck. But it was doin the same thing when i got it on ground. It has never done this before. It will move with the clutch depressed and in gear but it takes a good bit of muscle. I just changed the oil yesterday in it and switched to Yamaha Lube semi-synthetic. Could this have anything to do with it? Ive also recently put in a 12t front sprocket and i was thinkn i might have overtightened it. But the bike moves fine in neutral. All in all this has been a bad day as i also just cracked the float bowl. Its a 2001 wr250f.

Im pretty sure that is normal. It happens to me when the engine is cold.

A lot of riders have this issue when their bikes are cold. I had this problem when I was running 15w-40 oil...then switched to 10w-30 and it stopped what you are experiencing. The heavy weight oil was keeping the plates from seperating.

Agreed,clutch stiction will happen even on a brand new bike in first gear with the clutch pulled in.I wouldn't sweat it unless while running and the clutch in and it wants to creep on you.Then I would say warped plates,worn basket etc..

over tigtened the drain screw. It kept leaking on me and i was tightening it and i went to far

Sorry to sort of hi jack the thread but would 15w40 Schaeffers oil make a bike harder to start in the cold weather? I've never used that oil before, usually I use 10w40 Bel-Ray oil. Usually I set a propane heater next to my bike for a little bit and it'll kick about 2nd or 3rd time. But after putting the 15w40 in it, it takes about 10-15 kicks.

15w40 in cold weather is super thick. Just harder to start in cold weather.

At first I thought it'd need rebuilt but after thinking about it for a while I realized the changed variable was the oil. Thanks for the confirmation :banana: