Sign in to follow this  

250F or 250R?

Hi all. This is a great site!

I am in the market for my 1st dirtbike in over 20 years. Got my son a CRF150F last fall and now I am looking to get myself a bike so we can ride together.

I am looking for a CRF250, but can't decide on what flavor (F or R). I rode a 230F last fall and bottomed out the suspension on a small jump. Other than that, it worked great for trail riding.

I'm 43 and weigh in at around 205. I am leaning more towards the 250R mostly for the beefier suspension. I am not going to be racing it other than hare scrambles and poker runs. No MX racing. I can't afford a brand new bike so am looking for used. I don't want to spend more than $3000 since I also need to get a trailer.

So, the questions I have are this:

1) What model makes the most sense for someone like me? (F, R, X)?

2) What is a fair price for a 2007 year bike? I have seen a couple 250R's on Craigslist in my area for about $2700 - $2900.

3) If I see an ad that says the top end was just rebuilt, or new piston, etc...should I shy away from that or is that a good thing? I have read a LOT on this forum about the maintenance of the thumpers. So it seems like the older a bike gets, the more of that type of maintenance history there should be.

4) Are the 2007's a reliable year?

5) How much does it typically cost to get the top end checked out/adjusted?

That's it for now.

Thanks in advance!

There is no such thing as a crf250f there is just a crf250r and crf250x. I dont know what model you should get becuase I do just MX. About $2800 is good for a 2007crf250r.

I got my 2007 crf250r 1 year ago new for $4400 OTD. You could probably get one new for $3600 now. If it has a new top end that means it most likely has a lot of hours or has been raced hard. Look for a bike with low hours that has not been raced. I think a 2007 crf250r is a reliable bike. The piston, rings, and gaskets are about $230 I think. Plus $250 for a shop to install it.

the R is lighter, more power, better suspension in terms of racing and taking hard impacts.. the X is more mild, smooth motors, lights, wider rear tire, ect.. and is great for beginners/trail riders imo.. the R is a good bike to start with and made into a woods weapon.. money wise ive seen the 07 run from around 3k-3500 for a good used one or in same cases new.

few things to keep in mind if buying a used one- dont buy it already super modded (motor work and such) I would look for a stock or close to stock to start with, a modded bike will see less life in the motor dept.. even if the bike is "not raced" dont use that as a selling point, they may not have been raced but they can still be ridden hard..

to do a top end (oem) yourself runs about $450.. includes sending the head in to get the seats cut and guides checked out..

check the valves about every 20 hrs, if its a new bike it prob will require an adjustment right after break in, other then that ride the bike until it needs to be pushed to start.. other things to keep in mind piston should be swapped out every 40 hrs (if you ride hard) or 80 hrs (if you stay off the rev limiter)

Do not buy a 230. If I was buying a used bike, I would buy a WR250. A total newbie that has no mechanical experience will do better without honda valves.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Yes, I was referring to the 230F.

I found a 250R that appears to be in Mint condition and only has about 2-3 hours on it. Guy bought it new and doesn't have time to ride it. I'll be looking at that later this week.

I have lots of mechanical experience. So tearing a bike down doesn't bother me. The only thing that i don't feel comfortable doing is carburators. I tried adjusting the jetting once on an old Honda Elsinore when I was about 19 and my bike never ran right again!

On these thumpers, how does one go about "checking the valves"?

Well, I ended up getting the 2007 CRF250R. Bike is essentially brand new. Only has about 2 hours on it. Paid $3125. Pick it up on Saturday. Can't WAIT!

Thanks for all the advice.