Sign in to follow this  

decel popping

The fuel screw might need adjusting . I had a similar issue on my old WRF450 .I think it was out to far .

have you changed anything lately or did it just start randomly

i think popping usually indicates a lean mixture so try having a play with fuel screw and see if it helps

has the weather been hotter that normal lately and vice versa

You mentioned your recent mods. Did you rejet the carb? Anytime you open the flow of air, you need to rejet and open the exhaust too. Did you remove the AIS [emission cr@p] ? That usually help too. Good luck:thumbsup:

To answer your question: when your fuel screw is maxed out, or more than 3 turns out, you need to go up on the pilot jet. Provided there are no problems with the bike screwing with the jetting.

• Like 1

the air box mod is going to bring in more air which will lean the mixture. proof of that is that when the choke is on the bike runs better because the choke makes the mixture more rich. Decel popping is usually from a lean condition and since it happens when the throttle is released & at idle, it would be the pilot that needs to be addressed. since you're already a few turns out you're going to need to go up in size and go from there.

• Like 1

Popping on decel is exactly what is happening to my 06 DRZ400s. I just purchased it and the previous owner said he had done no carb mods and no air box mods.

Is there a place for me to find an exploded view of the carb and air box so I can get an understanding of the pilot/main jet and fuel screw as well as what the factory air box (non-modded) so I can see if this has truly not been modded.

I don't mind getting into the carb and stuff but I would sure like guys that know what they are doing to share their knowledge first.

Popping on decel is exactly what is happening to my 06 DRZ400s. I just purchased it and the previous owner said he had done no carb mods and no air box mods.

Is there a place for me to find an exploded view of the carb and air box so I can get an understanding of the pilot/main jet and fuel screw as well as what the factory air box (non-modded) so I can see if this has truly not been modded.

I don't mind getting into the carb and stuff but I would sure like guys that know what they are doing to share their knowledge first.

Get a Service Manual for your bike, it's the best place to start. It'll tell you what the factory jets are, so when you open up the carb you'll know if they've been messed with. Should also give you a fairly decent step by step on how to do everything.

another quick way is to go to a website like motosport.com that has a parts fische for your bike. type in the year and model and it's got the complete parts listings with exploded views so you can order oem parts.

Go here and read 3x3 mod which is the very first mod every DRZ 400 owner does. The bike is not jetted very well in stock form as you can imagine.