Sign in to follow this  

melted insulator on wire?

THe PO couldn't seem to get the rear brake to light up when the pedal was pushed and neither could I. So I bought a new easier EE brake light pressure switch and went to install it today. Being a noob, I managed to get air in the rear brake line, so now I'll have to figure out how to bleed the system once my 5.1 fluid comes in.

Anyway, I went to plug in everything and found the Brown wire(attached to a white one) coming from the engine area was completely bare. THe casing seemed to have melted. SO I slit the black casing holding both wires a little to see how far down it went and after 1/4" I stopped. It was bare to that part too.

So, my questions arre the following:

Is it common for this wire to burn off it's protective plastic casing and why would that happen?

How would you go about remedying the issue, would a good wrapping with electrical tape be sufficient or is there better tape out there?

Electircal tape isn't known to have great sticking powers, what else is out there that's better? THe new switch has the light working properly now.

Edited by XRLDTG

Heat shrink tubing works awesome on wires. I just did some wiring on my wifes quad and used it on some wires. Slide it over the wire before connecting it and then use a heat gun or lighter to heat and it shrinks to the wire. I also wrapped electrical tape around the outside just to be sure.

As far as it melting not sure where it is and how close to any heat source?

Heat shrink tubing works awesome on wires. I just did some wiring on my wifes quad and used it on some wires. Slide it over the wire before connecting it and then use a heat gun or lighter to heat and it shrinks to the wire. I also wrapped electrical tape around the outside just to be sure.

As far as it melting not sure where it is and how close to any heat source?

Hi Steve. It's right above the air filter, so no heat. I can't just slide the heat shrick tube over due to their being a sizeable connector on the battery end, where it's melted.

The rear light now does what it's supposed to do though!:banana: