Sign in to follow this  

xr75 won't shift past second

I recently purchased a 1978 xr75 that has a 79 xr80 engine . I replaced the broken cam chain and got the bike running, but it won't shift out of second gear. It shifts from first to second ok, and back to first. Any ideas as to what might be the problem. Thanks, a newbie, Greg

Thanks Bob, is that something that I could do myself, or does it require splitting the cases, and removing all the gears? I'm mechanically inclined, but not that familiar with lower ends.

Get a Clymer manual they are good books if you are unfamiliar with the internal working of there little engines. :banana: You will have to split the cases to check on the shift forks. Good luck.

If possible just get a complete transmission or bottom end from ebay. If you change one fork you have to (or should) change all three, which can get pricey. If it's shift dog, then it's best to replace the opposite gear, again pricey. It could be a bent shift shaft, or the shift star. Then only way to find out for sure is to take it apart. You can use a XR/CRF80 bottom-end as a replacement. Or even put in a XR100, but you will need a XR100 airboot. They are getting hard to find.

Edited by socalxr

Yes it will, that's what I put. Although when I first typed it, I forgot to put 80 after the XR/CRF. I fixed it. But the cases are the same so you can mix and match everything. You can even use the 75 cylinder and the 80 crank to make it a little bigger cc's.