Sign in to follow this  

Snap ring help!!!!please!!!!!

Hey guys i need to get the snap ring off of my front sprocket but i dont have snap ring pliers and none of my neighbors have them. Is there anyway for me to get it off????? Also can you re use snap rings??? Im replacing my sprockets

I just used needle nose pliers. Worked great. I did reuse my ring. I'll order a new one when I get another front sprocket.

ok sweeet. Also anone know how to get off stubborn rear sprocket bolts? i even tried my impact hammer

Use a wrench on nuts on the BACK of the sprocket. Do NOT try to loosen the allen head bolts on the front. Just apply pressure, and make sure you are loosening, not tightening.

ok i will try to loosen the nuts not the allen. thats what i was trying.

I wouldn't re-use the snap ring in my opinion. The manual will tell you to replace them, and considering that piece holds your whole bike together, I would spend the $2.50.

Snap rings reuse fine if they aren't distorted.

Make sure that the rounded edge is inside (the square edge is more difficult to fall off).

Harbor Freight has good cheap smap ring pliers.

Don

Snap rings reuse fine if they aren't distorted.

Make sure that the rounded edge is inside (the square edge is more difficult to fall off).

Harbor Freight has good cheap smap ring pliers.

Don

$5.99, that's where I got mine. If your rear sprocket bolts are all goobered up, I'd pony up the $11 or so and buy a new set. Don't forget to loctite them. Red loctite requires heat to losen them up, but a good impact will break right through it. As stated before, loosen the nut on the back, not the allen head. The allen key should only be used to counter the pressure from taking the nut off of the back.

You can get a snap ring plier set pretty cheap from Napa or any auto parts store. As long as you don't expand the ring farther than the OD of the splines you can reuse it.

I wouldn't re-use the snap ring in my opinion. The manual will tell you to replace them, and considering that piece holds your whole bike together, I would spend the $2.50.

If you followed everything the 'manual' said, you would be waist high in enough extra parts to build another bike. :banana: