Installing K&N filters

Ever since I bought a K&N filter for my '02 DR650 I have dreaded cleaning the filter.

It is hard to install, those stupid clips have to either be so loose that they fall out half the time or you can't fit the filter in the box.

The filter doesn't seem to fit well enough to seal either.

I sometimes can see a gap between the filter and the front of the airbox.

Then I have to start all over again.

My hands hardly fit in the box, it's very frustrating.

Does anyone know any tricks to make this easier?

Or is there an alternative, different filter that flows well?

Airbox mod of some type?

Is this a common complaint?

Just looking for ideas.

I did use the search but did not really find anything specific about this issue.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Ever since I bought a K&N filter for my '02 DR650 I have dreaded cleaning the filter.

It is hard to install, those stupid clips have to either be so loose that they fall out half the time or you can't fit the filter in the box.

Airbox mod of some type?

Just looking for ideas.

I did use the search but did not really find anything specific about this issue.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Sounds as if you are missing the thick foam rubber gasket that goes between the K&N filter and the filter box seat?

Don't get me started on K&N filters...... :ride:

Here is an installation tip that will help you and your engine. ?

I agree with mx_rob. I think you are not using the thick, one side adhesive, foam rubber gasket. I have an extra K&N filter with foam pre filter if you are interested in having an extra for swapping out. I do not have the foam gasket though. It did not come back out of the air box in one piece...

I think I will switch to a Twin air or some other popular brand that I just read about but cannot remember the name of right now.

I think K&N's let too much fine dirt through anyway.

It did on my RD400.

I feel dyslexic, I have a DR and I have an RD

Dave

Edited by Shady Dave
Added line

K&N filters are not thought of favorably in the Honda XR600/650 forum either and for the same reasons; they don't fit nor filter very well. They work okay for street bikes that see very little dust. For dirt, you're better off with UNI, TwinAir, or No-Toil oiled foam filters.

shady i got a kn with pre filter and it fits perfect i take it off and on at least 5 times a week BUT the F/I man says that only wossies run K&N soo i ordered a twin air from por cycle dont want 2 B A woss U no:eek:

Edited by CDS 1

Airbox mod of some type?

Just looking for ideas.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

:banana: Yup. You have to be a three handed, double-jointed monkey to get that sucker on there. I will not be cleaning it and trying that again. When it's time, it'll go in the trash and be replaced by a Twin-Air or OEM.

I wish Ready Filter made the filter for the DR. I used them on prior bikes and it was so nice to just toss the old one away and slip on a brand new filter. If I was really being a cheap bastard, I'd clean it once before tossing it.

C'mon fellow DR owners - go to the Ready Filter site and request they make a filter for us!!!!

i took out my K&n with pre filter today and put the twin air in fits great goes on in seckons reak nice smaller and lighter the trick 2 the kn is pull the pre filter off while still in air box then filter slides out first and pre filter next, reverse the process for install peacs of cake.