Sign in to follow this  

Inlet valve has moved .12mm in 20 hours since new...

My 2010 KX250F is just about to hit 20 hours, checked the valves for the 3rd time since buying it new last night and the L/H inlet has closed up to .05mm. The first time i checked it at the 9 hour mark it had closed up to .07 so i shimmed it out to .13 and now at the 20 hour mark its closed up to .05mm.

New it was at .11mm.

All the other valves i adjusted aswell at the 9 hour mark and they havent moved.

Being my first KX after owning yammi's im a bit confused as my last WR 250F would have been lucky to move that much in 240 hours before it really started to wear and closed up completely.

It seems like alot of movement to me on a new bike, so is this valve going to stop moving or is it stuffed already? :thumbsup:

Anyone elce have same problem ??? :thumbsup:

I hope This is a one off.?I just bought a 2010 kxf 250,after being on suzuki for 5 years.

My last bike (07 rmz 250) 150+ hours,valves only needed shimed once!

just shim it to where its in spec and run it, sometimes they will move some after break in.

Yeah i realize that, but .12mm in 20 hours since new and the other valves have hardly moved. Doesnt seem normal to me, normally they only move .01 to .02mm during break in.

hmmm, yea that does seem unusual, was the motor at room temp/cool when u checked them? at TDC (top dead center)?

If it was my bike the head would be off right now. If the valve is sinking into the seat that quickly, you may looking at a costly failure. I may not be a bike expert, but I have been hopping up VWs for over 20 years.

Many similar features, aluminum/mag heads, valve seats can be replaced, Valve guides can be replaced.

So if I see drastic repeating valve issues, I pull the head. I seen the heads pull off the valve, seats instaled wrong, and guides installed wrong or loose.

Of course probably one of the most expensive failure deals with valves, because they usually take everything else with them.:banana:

sounds to me like a tell tail lack of air filter maintaince, left intake cops most of the dirt since the tract is straiter to the left intake side, the valves on my 09 lasted 75 hard hours, and it was only the left intake that was out, although i know people that have gotten 150 hours plus outa OEM kxf intakes.

sounds to me like a tell tail lack of air filter maintaince, left intake cops most of the dirt since the tract is straiter to the left intake side, the valves on my 09 lasted 75 hard hours, and it was only the left intake that was out, although i know people that have gotten 150 hours plus outa OEM kxf intakes.

Well yeah normally you would think so but im pretty good with my air filter maintenance, think it shows seeing i got 240 hours out of WR valves.

Thought you said in another thread that the original owner of your bike replaced the valves at 30 hours and your last set only did 45 hours?

Looks like i might buy one new valve and put that in soon. Wonder if the seat will need to be cut?

Well yeah normally you would think so but im pretty good with my air filter maintenance, think it shows seeing i got 240 hours out of WR valves.

Thought you said in another thread that the original owner of your bike replaced the valves at 30 hours and your last set only did 45 hours?

Looks like i might buy one new valve and put that in soon. Wonder if the seat will need to be cut?

do you grease the sealing surface of the filter? 99% of the time it has nothing to do with how often the air filter's done, but how t's done, most people don't put nearly as much air filter oil on as they should (i completly soak my air filter in an ice cream container of oil, and squeeze out the excess) and i find alot of people don't grease the lip of the air filter either, also you need to be carful not to drop any dirt into the intake boot when doing the filter.

if your 100% sure of your filter maintainence, then have a talk to the dealer you bought it off, kawi might decied to replace the valve out of good faith, a friend of mine did the same on his 2010 RM-z 450 after the oil pump failed at 30 hours with good luck.

the previous owners say's he did replace the valves on my bike, but you never know, i dont see why he would, in anycase it was probably my fault for running an air filter to long (110 mile dusty trail ride, i should have been carrying an extra air filter, hindsight is a wonderful this)

also one last thing, if you want yamaha like durability out of yur valves, the only option is to put del west valves in it (which is what KTM and yamaha use OEM), the quality is much better then any other OEM valve's.

im on my third kxf loged alot of hours only had to change 1 intake. have you ever rode the bike after washing with the same filter? i see it all the time people wash there bike and run the same filter. that will do it every time.

im on my third kxf loged alot of hours only had to change 1 intake. have you ever rode the bike after washing with the same filter? i see it all the time people wash there bike and run the same filter. that will do it every time.

do you mean running the bike with a wet air filter or what exactly do you mean?

wash bike same filter? You think the water that gets on the filter is washing the dirt past the oil and into the interior of the filter allowing the particles to get sucked into the intake?

^ yes it does. not a wet filter. if you wash it and leave it in and ride next week the little dirt particles and big one are now sitting dry it the air take boot ready to be sucked it. after i was my bike and i do the filter sometimes there is a little dirt i see it all the time.

Never thought of that, my bike is sitting right now with a post wash same filter going on, although my last ride was a sand track in the rain so there was no dirt really, just large sand particles but i will pull the filter and check.