Sign in to follow this  

Set my idle, but something is hanging up?

I had a post on here earlier about my fuel level being too high and fixed that problem Friday night. Now I have that dialed in, but now I have a new whole ordeal that has actually been going on for some time. I set my idle to what I want it at. Then I twist the throttle and it will idle extremely high for about 10-13 seconds and go back to idling like it should. Something is hanging up, but I just cannot figure out what it is? I checked my throttle cables and they seem good. They are not loose and the tube isn't catching on anything. I'm thinking something in the carburetor itself, but no idea what to look for? :thumbsup:

What does bring the high idle down to the idle I have set is pulling on the hot start. If I pull on the hot start long enough the bike will sputter out and die.

my yz 450 doing same thing, runs good just idles high for little while after I let off throttle, If you figure it out let me know please. I pulled carb and cleaned it really good and when I put it back on, this happened have no idea why.

I will check that first thing tomorrow morning. I have the idle set at 2000 RPM...according to my hour/tach meter.

I'm having similar problem, and here's what I've discovered so far: (I have new-to-me '04 RMZ250) If I start the bike without twisting the throttle, I've dialed it in using the idle adjustment and the pilot screw so that it runs nice. Mine would do the same as yours though, and so I started adjusting the needle clip setting to make it leaner (moved the clip up on the needle). The first time I move the clip richer, and the bike wouldn't even run when I opened the throttle unless I pulled in the hot start! I moved the clip one spot leaner than original, and it worked a lot better. I've made one more move leaner, but haven't had the bike under load yet. It does run better though, and there doesn't seem to be that delay in returning to the proper idle rpm.