Sign in to follow this  

PW 80 help

I have an 03 PW 80 that has problems running under load at 1/2 throttle and more. I took the carb apart yesterday and thoroughly cleaned it out but it didn't solve the problem. If seemed to help some though. The bike starts and idles fine, accelerates through 1st gear fine, but when shifted to second gear and throttle is opened more than about 1/3 it starts to bog, stutter and decelerate! If I slow down and shift back into first, it will pick back up and pull through 1st gear, but then do the same thing. The air temp here yesterday when I had it out was about 40 degrees. Any help? Spring is coming and I need to resolve this before the tracks open.

I'm not a PW80 expert, but if you are positive the carb is clean, make sure to check the simple stuff too. Restricted fuel line or dirty tank, plugged exhaust, plugged air filter, bad fuel, fouled plug, etc. Might check the float level too, but I don't know how adjustable it is on a PW80.

Float level is adjustable on the PW80, I would be inclined to think yours is out of whack - that's usually what causes problems on ours. It wouldn't hurt to check all the other things mentioned above though either.

Also check your oil tank under the seat while you've at it.

When I bought an old one for my son, it ran like that. The compression was so low that It took about 15-20 kicks to get it started. It would seem ok in first gear, but once you shifted up it had nothing and bogged out. We did the top end and it then started and ran great in all gears.

If you change your carb's pilot jet to one or two sizes smaller , you should see that problem all but disappear.

I have to disagree. Pilot is right, or close. If anything the main could be too big as the main has a profound effect 1/2 throttle and up. But I'd look at the simple and cheap solutions first.

It's hard to tell, from your description if the mixture is rich or lean. I'm leaning towards it being rich here ......

Problem: Clip on the needle too low making the midrange too rich?

If you raise the clip up a notch it will lean the midrange off a bit. (The needle will sit lower into the needle jet restricting fuel flow slightly due to it's tapered shape).

See if this improves things. Costs nothing and it's dead easy to do on a PW80.

If it's actually lean then do the opposite.........but it's sounds rich to me by your description.

(Without hearing/seeing the bike myself it's hard to be 100% sure whether it's actually rich or lean.)

Greg

Does the overflow line drip on the carb? I'd check & adjust the float level first. They just seem to work their way up outta whack rather quickly on these bikes & it's such a quick & easy thing to check & reset.

i would start with the basics. a clean air filter, new plug, fresh fuel, and pull the carb apart completely. remove all jets and soak them in solvent. use a air compressor to blow it all dry. use the settings from the manual for a base line. this should get you in the ball park.

once you do that. tune the carb from the fast circuit to the slow circuits. starting with the main, and do a plug chop. then move down to the air/fuel and idle screws.

if that doe not solve it, check to make sure you have good reeds, and the gaskets are sealing they way they should.