Sign in to follow this  

Oil fill question

This may be splitting hairs but on my '97 cr125 on the side of the engine case it says the oil capacity is 650cc. Well i drained all the oil out of it yesterday to change it after riding it for a bit to heat up the oil and then i put back in exactly 650cc of new oil. Today though i ran it a bit and and then waited 3 minutes or so like the manual says and took off the overflow screw to see if any would come out and a bunch did so it was like i had overfilled it. So, should i go with the 650cc exactly, or go with the overflow drain method and just leave the level right where it stops coming out of the overflow hole per the manual or is it maybe not that much difference to even matter? I know this may be kind of anal but i like to do things right...thanx

Give it enough time to settle after warming the bike up and then go with the oil check bolt (bike level, not too much oil dripping out). Then warm it up again and check it with the check bolt. Does the manual not say how much?

Well, the manual says .57 litres which equals 570cc's or .6 quarts which is about the same so why does it say 650cc's on the side of the case where you fill the oil? I guess the best way to do it is to run the engine for a little while and then turn it off and let the oil "settle" to the bottom and then use the overflow screw method? Also, the manual says just to run the engine for 3 minutes and then let it cool for 3 minutes and then check the overflow screw......I wonder if it matters if you put it in gear during the 3 minutes and if you let it settle for longer than 3 minutes? I guess i'll just do as the manual says and forget about the 650cc that's on the case unless anybody has insight into this.......

The manual should have drained and disassembled amounts. Leave the check bolt alone and just measure the amount you want and pour. If you do happen to have too much it's just going to come out the over-flow. Not a big deal.