Why no paper air filters on dirtbikes?

Coming from a car background, the general consensus is paper filters snag particles better than oiled foam and gauze.

How come they aren't used on dirt bikes, especially the hi-po 4 strokes that eat valves if they ingest dirt?

Plus, who likes cleaning/oiling filters???

Just wondering.

Coming from a car background, the general consensus is paper filters snag particles better than oiled foam and gauze.

How come they aren't used on dirt bikes, especially the hi-po 4 strokes that eat valves if they ingest dirt?

Just wondering.

Do you see many snorkels on Dirtbikes?

Just wondering.

Part of the sport. Even most paper filters require oil. Running a dry filter would be down right dangerous. I'll still stay with my dual stage foams.

first thing is, look at the percentage of cars that drive on the road out of the dust

papers filter better dust-yeah

papers cant be cleaned and reused-

plus having that little better filtering capacity wont be much help anyway if you do the right thing and clean you airfilter everyride where there is dust.

point is, i have never a bit of dirt inside my filter.

you cant just sqeeuze paper filters dry out on the trail

Very good question. I used to race dirt late models for a few years and read with interest a story on oiled filters vs dry paper. I had always used the K&N on my race and would clean and oil it wach week just like MX. Actually the sports are quite similar as the filters get a lot of dirt, roost and mud conditions thrown at them.

Anyway Circle Track magazine did a test of paper filters vs oiled filters. Come to find out the paper filters were much better at keeping out smaller particles as they weren't as pourous as the oiled foam, and didn't collect dust like the oiled filters. When they tore down the engines the ones using oiled foam filters had considerably more wear on the internals. Also the HP was up on the paper filters because later in the race the dust didn't stick to them like the oiled ones.

The paper filters were only like $5-8 and you could air them off and reuse several times.

I'd say if you rode in mostly dryer conditionsm, like most MX races then you'd be much better off with a paper filter but if you ride off-road, enduro stuff you'd be bettor off with the std oil foam filter.

street is WAY different then dirt

which is why I run K&N filters ONLY on my street bike and car (cause they are known for not filtering as good as foam)

You don't have to lube foam filters, check out your local dealer, they most likely have 'ready foam filters' that are already lubed, just throw them on, ride, throw them away, buy a new one for $15

It's not that big of a deal to lube my air filter, that's easy maintenance. Lubing my filter doesn't even compare to disassembling cleaning and lubing all my bearings twice a year, or adjusting my valves twice a year.. Air filter maintnenance is like a 15 minute job at max and I only need to do it once every week or two :banana:

Very good question. I used to race dirt late models for a few years and read with interest a story on oiled filters vs dry paper. I had always used the K&N on my race and would clean and oil it wach week just like MX. Actually the sports are quite similar as the filters get a lot of dirt, roost and mud conditions thrown at them.

Anyway Circle Track magazine did a test of paper filters vs oiled filters. Come to find out the paper filters were much better at keeping out smaller particles as they weren't as pourous as the oiled foam, and didn't collect dust like the oiled filters. When they tore down the engines the ones using oiled foam filters had considerably more wear on the internals. Also the HP was up on the paper filters because later in the race the dust didn't stick to them like the oiled ones.

The paper filters were only like $5-8 and you could air them off and reuse several times.

I'd say if you rode in mostly dryer conditionsm, like most MX races then you'd be much better off with a paper filter but if you ride off-road, enduro stuff you'd be bettor off with the std oil foam filter.

The above is only one of many tests that show paper is the best filter media, that is why it is so popular on other engines. As others said the problem with paper filters is water obstructs their flow so we use media that is more water tolerant such as oiled foam or gaze, in exchange for greater engine wear from ingested dirt. That may be a fair exchange because we don't need 250,000 mile engine life on our dirt bikes.

The above is only one of many tests that show paper is the best filter media, that is why it is so popular on other engines. As others said the problem with paper filters is water obstructs their flow so we use media that is more water tolerant such as oiled foam or gaze, in exchange for greater engine wear from ingested dirt. That may be a fair exchange because we don't need 250,000 mile engine life on our dirt bikes.

250K miles...I wish. Pump 850+ HP out of an engine and trust me it will not last 250K! Last one season if you were lucky. The last motor I had was sweet all Yates/Roush Ford that sounded awesome!

If you are on the road or in a fairly dry climate you can't beat paper. But add water to the mix and you will have issues with paper.