Sign in to follow this  

07 WR250F second gear hard to select

Hi Guys, The selection of second gear in the bike is getting hard to locate. Oil has been recently changed etc. Any ideas, is this a common occurance etc. The bike has 2500 Kms on the clock

Cheers

No, not a common occurence, but.... Did you recently take a fall on the left side? If so, then the lever could have been pushed up beyond normal travel.

Check would be to shut the gas off and lay the bike over on the left side and remove the clutch cover and clutch basket. There is a shift guide plate and pawls that rotate the shift drum. Make sure they are in tact and not bent or pushed out of place. also check the shift shaft end that engages the roller on the drum. If could be bent. Beyond that, you would have to split the cases to check things out.

I did the washer/spacer mod I found on here for my clutch on my 07 yz250f and this seems to help a little. From looking around on these forums the clutch seems to be a bit of an issue. Mine seems to work great with this mod, but it still has to have a decent amount of heat in it to work.

Thank you for the feedback guys.It has not had any significant crashes, however for the sake of an hour I will have a peek in the clutch side and see if all is ok.

Cheers.

check your clutch cable. I was having problems shifting from 1st-N-2nd. Changed oil...didn't help....did washer mod...didn't really help. pulled apart clutch cable and I had about 2 strands remaining intact at the clutch lever

If the problem is related to a dragging clutch, people have had luck changing stop plates out for aftermarket or CRF plates

I swapped mine out for some cheapo Tusk plates and the drag issue is 100% better - even though stock plates measured out fine.