What Kind Of Oil Do You Guys Use?

Holy cow Batman! Another oil thread! We gotta nail this sucker :banana:

There are lots of good oils to choose from ... Many like the Shell Rotella stuff... Lots like the true synthetics ... then there are blends of these two types ... All are very good. How deep are your pockets?

I use supertech from wal mart in the 20L jug for 45$. cant go wrong at 2.25$ per liter, or about 3$ per oil change.

its diesel oil, just like rotella T. and does the trick just fine. rotella is a tad more expensive so I dont use it.

so the guy i bought my bike from ran only honda gold bottle red cap in it, well the only place that carries that here is a stealership and they want 9.50 for a qt, if i switch to the rotella T 15w40 will it cause any problems? just lookin to save a little doe, i dont ride my bike hard and i dont race it. thanks

How often you change it is far more important than what you run in it. You'll be fine with the Rotella.

this is 100% absolutely correct.

I run the cheap, 2.50$ per liter oil, but I change it often.

some guys run the 25$ per liter oil and use it all summer.

I think I would rather have a "low" quality oil thats ALWAYS fresh, versus an expensive oil thats used, beaten, burnt, dirty, filled with metal shavings (most bikes share the clutch and engine oil, dumb IMO), etc...

some guys run the 25$ per liter oil and use it all summer.

I think I would rather have a "low" quality oil thats ALWAYS fresh, versus an expensive oil thats used, beaten, burnt, dirty, filled with metal shavings (most bikes share the clutch and engine oil, dumb IMO), etc...

Even cheap oils of today are better than the best oils were a few years ago.

iv found so many different threads on what ppl say is "good" and whats not "good" for the bike. im kinda confused on what to do i dont wanna run honda oil anymore cause of the price, so im gunna start running the rotella synthetic in the engine side, will that be okay for the tranny side too or do i need something thicker?

+1

I run 'cheap' oil in everything I own, super tech, mobile clean 5000, or rotella are what I use almost everytime :banana:

I personally don't like running overly thick oils in anything like some people do, I try to run around manufacturers weight maybe vary the weight a little according to extreme temperatures..

And I can't 'prove' anything about automotive oil being ok for the tranny or anything, I've just always had great success... But I've NEVER had a clutch go out on any of my bikes, and I ride them hard, and always use automotive oil. So I will say they don't harm clutches as long as you don't run fully synthetic energy conserving oil?

40k on stock clutch on my sport bike!

If you want and inexpensive, good oil. Use Rotella T 15w-40. It's a high quality diesel oil that also works great in bikes. The best oil is clean oil, I change mine every 3 hours max.

WOW! Every 3 hours? Are you kidding me? No Offense but that is crazy!

I'm so not changing my oil every 3 hours... Not even every ride.. I'm going to change it every summer, or maybe at beginning of summer, and end of summer.

WOW! Every 3 hours? Are you kidding me? No Offense but that is crazy!

I'm so not changing my oil every 3 hours... Not even every ride.. I'm going to change it every summer, or maybe at beginning of summer, and end of summer.

For a racer, 3 hour oil change intervals are regular

Changing your oil only a couple times a year is just asking to have problems on any 'race' motor. Oil is relatively cheap compared to complete rebuilds, and is very easy to do.

Not everyone needs to change their oil every 3 hours, but you should still change it often at regular intervals. Dirty/worn oil doesn't lubricate as good, and will just let your engine wear out quicker.

I change mine every 5-12 hours or so on the dirt bike, and 500-1500 miles on my sport bike (because I do a lot of high rpm 1st gear riding on it)

edit: No offense.. but changing your oil 1-2 times a season is crazy imo.. But I guess everyone rides different hours, I put a lot of hours/miles on my bikes every year.

Using 'cheap' oil, an oil change only runs around $3-$10 for a dirt bike, only runs me $13 for oil and filter for my sport bike that holds 4quarts