Sign in to follow this  

Wheel spacer questions 05 450x

I am in the process of trying to put my bike back to stock from its current supermoto attire. I purchased a 19" rear wheel off a 450r and a 21" front off something either a 450r or x. the bike had excel wheels with talon hubs the trip meter has been removed. I don't want to put a trip back on it as I have a trail tech on the bike.

Ok now to the problem on the rear the spacers look like they are the correct width but the seal for the bearing is much larger than the spacer prob. 1/8 of a inch to large around the spacer so it isn't sealing at all. does the rear of a 450r have a different size spacer and seal than a 450x or are the spacers im trying to use just incorrect because they are for the talon hubs? Im guessing that they are for the talon hubs but i don't want to order spacers for a x and have it not work.

Now to the front the spacers are all wrong. Not even close to right they are much bigger in dia. than the opening in the seal. so what do i need to put a stock wheel minus the trip drive onto my bike do I order spacers for a 450r which has no trip or does someone sell a kit that i can purchase to eliminate the trip drive? if so where do i get it. the bike has both stock axels to my knowledge.

sorry for the extremely long post im just frustrated:foul: that the previous owner did not keep The stock parts together. The snow is melting im ready to tear it up:ride:

Edited by Tacomaman87
spelling

thanks krannie i figured I could just go with a spedo eliminator kit on the front any info about the rear r wheel on a x with different size spacers?

ok thanks looks like i need to order a speedo delete kit and a set of stock rear spacers.

thanks men!!

is the front wheel setup for a speedo or not. once that is answered, then you can get some better info.

the X and R wheels are the same diameter axle, but they use different spacers and axles.

the X and R rear wheels (stock) use the same spacers and axles.

btw, pics help.

i will post up some pics tonight im not sure if the frt wheels is set up for a speedo or not i dont remember if it is. ill do some reasearch and let you guys know

if the non brake side is smooth all the way around it is an R wheel. if it has two notches in it, it is an X wheel.

ok i e mailed the guy i got the frt wheel off he said it was off a 03 450r. The bearings and the inner spacer fit my axle just fine. should i order the spedo delete spacers for a x or do i need to order r spacers? as far as i know the rear spacers should be the same either way.

ok i e mailed the guy i got the frt wheel off he said it was off a 03 450r. The bearings and the inner spacer fit my axle just fine. should i order the spedo delete spacers for a x or do i need to order r spacers? as far as i know the rear spacers should be the same either way.

The R wheel doesn't need a ODO delete spacer thingy ma-bob....

(when using an R front wheel);

If your using the X axle - you use two rotor side spacers (from an X)

If your using the R axle - you use one X rotor side, and one R non rotor side.

... see, the collar on the axle (odometer side or non-rotor side) is larger on the R axle, and smaller on the X axle (to allow room for the Odo). So if using one or the other, you need to take up the slack/space

And yes, rear are identical.

Here's an (old) picture of my X... using an X axle, and two rotor side spacers;

This is an older ZipTy spacer, I don't use anymore;

DSC05648.jpg

This is an RBRMX spacer and bearing cover (I use two of these for front);

DSC05647.jpg

Thanks JAT. I was trying to figure out how to upload pics of whats going on. I can figure it out on my old ladys mac. You pretty much summed it up for me thanks a lot.

Thanks JAT. I was trying to figure out how to upload pics of whats going on. I can figure it out on my old ladys mac. You pretty much summed it up for me thanks a lot.

no worries! :banana:

johnnyairtime,

I just bought a Trailtech Striker and a set of RBRMX spacers for my 250X. I removed the odometer and stock spacer and replaced them with the 250X RBRMX spacer set. However, when I tried to tighten down the front axle nut, I coudn't get it tighten to the proper torque. I loosened it and tried again only to have threads strip.

Upon further inspection, it looks like the axles isn't protruding out far enough to give enough thread engagement. I had another nut lying around and sure enough, it won't torque down either.

I am still using my stock 250X wheel but it looks like the axle isn't long enough. Do I need to use a 250R axle with these RBRMX spacers or did RBRMX send me the incorrect spacer?

johnnyairtime,

I just bought a Trailtech Striker and a set of RBRMX spacers for my 250X. I removed the odometer and stock spacer and replaced them with the 250X RBRMX spacer set. However, when I tried to tighten down the front axle nut, I coudn't get it tighten to the proper torque. I loosened it and tried again only to have threads strip.

Upon further inspection, it looks like the axles isn't protruding out far enough to give enough thread engagement. I had another nut lying around and sure enough, it won't torque down either.

I am still using my stock 250X wheel but it looks like the axle isn't long enough. Do I need to use a 250R axle with these RBRMX spacers or did RBRMX send me the incorrect spacer?

I don't understand. The axle slides back and forth through the clamps. You should be able to get as much thread as you want. Sure, you want the disc-less side to fit flush. But you need to install the wheel so the forks don't bind. If you have spacers that are bigger than stock, you cannot use them: the forks WILL bind. If the new spacers you installed = more space than the spacers you removed, then yes they are the wrong ones.

I don't exactly understand it myself. I ran out of time today messing with it, and like I said, stripping out the threads. I'll see if I can pull the parts out and measure them tomorrow and report back. Maybe it did bind and didn't go all the way through. I've done this 20 times with the stock odometer in and never have had a problem.

The R wheel doesn't need a ODO delete spacer thingy ma-bob....

(when using an R front wheel);

If your using the X axle - you use two rotor side spacers (from an X)

If your using the R axle - you use one X rotor side, and one R non rotor side.

... see, the collar on the axle (odometer side or non-rotor side) is larger on the R axle, and smaller on the X axle (to allow room for the Odo). So if using one or the other, you need to take up the slack/space

And yes, rear are identical.

Here's an (old) picture of my X... using an X axle, and two rotor side spacers;

This is an older ZipTy spacer, I don't use anymore;

DSC05648.jpg

This is an RBRMX spacer and bearing cover (I use two of these for front);

DSC05647.jpg

Just to clarify. I've got an 05 450x. Got some sm wheels made to fit 450r.

I will be using the X axle. Can i use a stock honda X rotor side spacer on both sides? Not as fancy as the RBRMX but will it get me going on the cheap?

My second question is when I switch back to stock X wheels does it make the most sense to use an Odo delete spacer thing? the setup will be x axle, stock x hub, odo gone. Or is there a stock honda spacer combo that will work here as well?

thanks for your time!

I don't exactly understand it myself. I ran out of time today messing with it, and like I said, stripping out the threads. I'll see if I can pull the parts out and measure them tomorrow and report back. Maybe it did bind and didn't go all the way through. I've done this 20 times with the stock odometer in and never have had a problem.

Just to follow up on this...I used the new nut and it everything was fine. It didn't strip out and torqued to spec. I honestly think my torque wrench just failed to click because I was rolling it along to slow. This apparently had nothing to do with the RBRMX spacers...just a coincidence. I measured them and all pieces are 25.5mm like they are supposed to be. Thanks for the help and sorry for the false alarm.

Just to clarify. I've got an 05 450x. Got some sm wheels made to fit 450r.

I will be using the X axle. Can i use a stock honda X rotor side spacer on both sides? Not as fancy as the RBRMX but will it get me going on the cheap?

My second question is when I switch back to stock X wheels does it make the most sense to use an Odo delete spacer thing? the setup will be x axle, stock x hub, odo gone. Or is there a stock honda spacer combo that will work here as well?

thanks for your time!

1st question = yes

2nd question = you have to use the odo delete spacer if your not using the odo.

Just to follow up on this...I used the new nut and it everything was fine. It didn't strip out and torqued to spec. I honestly think my torque wrench just failed to click because I was rolling it along to slow. This apparently had nothing to do with the RBRMX spacers...just a coincidence. I measured them and all pieces are 25.5mm like they are supposed to be. Thanks for the help and sorry for the false alarm.

Glad to hear you got it figured out.

.... how did you strip a nut when you should have seen the axle poking through the nut or at minimum flush with the nut itself? I can't imagine even doing this with a huge cheater bar on my ratchet.

Sounds like you didn't have your pinch bolts loose enough for the axle to be flush on the side opposite the rotor, giving you all the axle you need on the rotor side?!

I'm still confused at how you did, what you mentioned.

1st question = yes

2nd question = you have to use the odo delete spacer if your not using the odo.

Thanks for your help and the quick reply!!!