Sign in to follow this  

kick starter slipping

Hey yall,

My 06 kickstart seems to slip sometimes and also seems kind of 'loose'. I took the battery out b/c i refuse to use a e start...just not that lazy yet. Anyways, i havent taken it apart yet still waiting on my shop manual to get here. Any ideas, i did a search and found allot of threads pertaining to e starter troubles but no kick starter issues. Thanks!

Hey yall,

My 06 kickstart seems to slip sometimes and also seems kind of 'loose'. I took the battery out b/c i refuse to use a e start...just not that lazy yet. Anyways, i havent taken it apart yet still waiting on my shop manual to get here. Any ideas, i did a search and found allot of threads pertaining to e starter troubles but no kick starter issues. Thanks!

Well, I'm sorry to say that the X kick starting system is really only a backup to the starter. If you use it a lot, it will fail. There are gears, brackets and case tabs that fail on the X if you use the kick starter often.

What does using e-start have to do with being lazy, anyway?

Crap!! I just dont like e starting a dirt bike i feel like a cheese ball... also if i have the choice of not carrying around a 5lb battery ill leave it at home... only weigh 150 lbs so every little bit helps.

Can you describe better what you mean by slipping and what you mean by loose?

I'm really perplexed why you spent the extra money to buy a bike with e-start if you only remove it? Maybe its a second hand bike and you got a good deal on it but I can't tell you how nice an E-start is in certain situations. Its even better when a buddy is kicking away and you can just hit the magic button. Helps to save energy for riding.

I stalled on the side of a hill trying to dodge a tree on one side and a wall of dirt on the other side to boot i was stalled on stair steps ( being roots) and if i had to kick start it i would had to roll back down backwards to get to the bottom cause there was no way i could have balanced the bike and kick start it at the same time due to how steep the trail was and just no good footing for it, my point is the magic button saved me started it right up and rode on. you may feel lazy but dont it is a life saver. plus it saves more of your energy for the funner stuff riding.

But it is up to you to do what you wish with your stuff, I mean you bought it is yours. Good luck with your kick starter i hope it is something simple.

If you take off the kick starter and then take off the right crankcase cover you will see all of the gears and parts that go to your kick starter, that cover is the bigger one with 12 or 13 bolts holding it on.

It kinda sounds like you might have broke a tooth on one of the gears, that is just a guess once you get in there you will probably will see the probablem.

when you figure it out let us know good luck.

Crap!! I just dont like e starting a dirt bike i feel like a cheese ball... also if i have the choice of not carrying around a 5lb battery ill leave it at home... only weigh 150 lbs so every little bit helps.

I'm 135 lbs and wouldnt go one day without my e starter! haha to each his own. Its possibly the greatest invention ever....Behind dirt bikes..... and tivo...