Sign in to follow this  

kdx powervalve issue (continued)

So, i'm home on spring break looking at my bikes powervalve because the bike lacks low end power and it is very hard to coax the bike into powerband. I was wondering what type of spring like force should i be feeling on the kips shaft 13234A in this diagram. Is the shaft supposed to springs back counter clockwise whenever i turn it clockwise by hand? Or is it supposed to feel like something different? http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/servicehonda/Kawasaki_OEM/KawasakiDB.asp?Type=13&A=196&B=10

Non-members can't see the diagrams.

Do you mean the arm coming from the lower end, or the shaft protruding from the cylinder?

You can't force the governor to move by pulling on the actuating arm (the one that sticks up from the bottom-end). If you pull on that arm hard enough to make it move, you will pull the other end out of it's groove in the governor body. Don't ask me how I know this...:banana:

The actuator rack that sticks out of the cylinder should move in and out smoothly, but isn't spring loaded on the KDX.

o sorry... i was talking about the shaft that comes up from the governer. From what i can tell by twisting some things by hand, it seems as though my powervalve is having trouble with the transitions: closed to open and open to close. When i twist the paw by hand, it seems to open ok (not sure how hard its supposed to be) but when i let go of it, it doesnt seem like it returns the gear to its position where it can go no farther counter clockwise. The bikes low end isnt right and its hard to coax the bike into powerband (i'm associating powerband with the powervalve being opened so let me know if this is wrong) We're working with a brand new piston, rings, and newly redone cylinder. I just cant figure out what the heck is going on with this KIPS. I double and maybe even triple checked the kips components to make sure they were lined up right and everything when i re-assembled it after my cylinder was re-done

Is everything lubed up properly? Use some raw premix on everything when re assembling. Sounds like something might be binding somewhere. I know when I moved my KIPS by hand it "sprung" back into place by itself.