Sign in to follow this  

CDI info and experiment

well my whole ignition crapped out on my 82rm250. And i cant afford the stuff on ebay. But i found this article http://www.btinternet.com/~jhpart/bkns125a.htm . So i had spare parts from various bikes laying around. I used the stator off a 83 rm 125 (i had to rotate it 180 degrees and make the slots longer to get the firing point right). and i used a CDI off of a 79 suzuki 185. and an ignition coil off of an old 3 wheeler... Now like most of you i would know if my bike was not spot on. My bike runs perfect, just like before.

So in my opinion, now i believe as long as its a 2 stroke you can use a CDI off of any simular bike. I could really feel the CDI's timing advance kick in when i had the stator to far retarded. But after getting the timing on the advance in the CDI felt no different from my original CDI.

So you could save big bucks by using a CDI off of a bike with cheaper/more available parts.

i do think this is true,BUT before doing it yourself maybe you should see how my bike does after several hours, just to be safe :banana:

I'd bet you could even use a four stroke ignition simply because many four-stroke engines run a wasted spark set up, it fires not only near TDC on the compression stroke, but also on the exhaust stroke. It's simply too complicated to figure out which is which, so it fires every 360 degrees just like on a two stroke.

My bet is you'll be fine.

I don't know what the deal is with ebay right now. Nothing is selling, so they raise the prices to insane, so no one buys? That's contrary to every business model except Sak's 5th Avenue and Tiffany's.