Sign in to follow this  

YZ Fork Swap

Hi Lads,

I know most of you will be sleeping in the US now but if you could answer this when you wake up then that would be great!:banana:

Right, I would like to put YZ forks on my TTR as I think it makes the bike look a lot more sportier and more aggressive.

I have read basically all the threads on Swapping YZ Forks but it has confused me even more.

I have a few questions which if you could answer then that would be fantastic!

I know I can use YZ85 forks on my TTR but can I use YZ80 Forks? If yes, what year should I be looking for?

Is there anything I should look out for when buying 2nd hand Forks? (Seals, Etc) Or is it best to buy new?

I know what parts you need if you are fitting forks from a YZ 85 but do I need the same parts if I am fitting YZ80 Forks?

Forks from a YZ80 seem a lot cheaper so I would ideally want to get them as I don't want to spend a huge amount!

Any help would be appreciated!

James

Also, would there be any advantage of having YZ85 Forks instead of YZ80 Forks (Assuming that they will fit)?

Sorry lads, I know I am being impatient but there are a few forks on eBay for sale so I could do with some help and advice!

Thanks!

There is a very long post in this forum that gives step by step instructions. Use the search function and you will find what you are looking for.

There is a very long post in this forum that gives step by step instructions. Use the search function and you will find what you are looking for.

Yes I know and I have read it but it doesn't say if you can use YZ80 forks?

Yes you can use YZ80 forks. I have 1998 YZ80 forks on my TTR (small wheel). It was a straight up bolt on swap. You can buy used forks like I did, just be sure to check the seals and make sure they aren't leaking, and you should probably change the oil in them. If you keep watching ebay, you can occasionally find good deals. Keep an eye on Craigslist too, I got an entire front end from a YZ80 (brake lever/master cylinder all the way down to wheel and tire, forks included, everything in great shape) for $80 from a guy who was parting out his bike.

Good luck!

Yes you can use YZ80 forks. I have 1998 YZ80 forks on my TTR (small wheel). It was a straight up bolt on swap. You can buy used forks like I did, just be sure to check the seals and make sure they aren't leaking, and you should probably change the oil in them. If you keep watching ebay, you can occasionally find good deals. Keep an eye on Craigslist too, I got an entire front end from a YZ80 (brake lever/master cylinder all the way down to wheel and tire, forks included, everything in great shape) for $80 from a guy who was parting out his bike.

Good luck!

Thanks a lot for that!

Do I just need the same parts as when using YZ 85 Forks?

As far as I know they are the same... so long as you are getting the upside down forks. I'm not sure if both 80 and 85 always had the upside down forks. I think some had the standard, but I am really not positive of this! If you use the TTR wheel, you'll need some spacers for the axle, otherwise it's pretty much direct bolt on (might be you need a spacer on the steering stem, but it's been years since I did mine so don't quote me). All years should fit... though you may have a little different spacers needed (again not positive).

As far as the forks go, the parts will all be the same, yes. As long as they are the inverted forks, like YamaMama said. For wheels, it depends on whether you are using the 125L (19") wheel or the 17" wheel. YZ80/85s had 17" wheels normally, so you could use the YZ80/85 wheel like I did with no further modifications. If you are using the TTR's wheel, you will need some washers or spacers to center the wheel on the axle. There is a thread on here somewhere that has more specific details.