Sign in to follow this  

Revalve

Ok I have a DRZ 400 kicker and have just started racing it here in Bolivia.

The standard springs are correct for my wieght so Im just thinking of revalving the forks.Problem is theres no experts here in Bolivia so Im considering buy Racetec gold valves and fitting them my self.

Any thoughts on the goldvalves?

Any thoughts on fitting them myself?:banana:

Ok I have a DRZ 400 kicker and have just started racing it here in Bolivia.

The standard springs are correct for my wieght so Im just thinking of revalving the forks.Problem is theres no experts here in Bolivia so Im considering buy Racetec gold valves and fitting them my self.

Any thoughts on the goldvalves?

Any thoughts on fitting them myself?:banana:

That's what I did on my '06 KLX250. I needed springs both front and rear, but the valving had a terrible compression spike on both ends. The Race Tech Gold Valve mod totally transformed this bike. I can ride gnarly singletrack like the KLX was a real dirt bike now. No...it doesn't turn it into a KTM300 or such, obviously, but it really does make the suspension work at its max level of performance. It truly was eye-opening.

I think your DRZ mods would be much like my KLX. The rear shock was actually the easiest item to mod and needed the fewest special tools. I mainly just worked out of my well stocked tool box to do the rear shock. The fork required a seal/bearing driver, but I just got the whole fork assembled and let the local shop tap the bushings and seals into place. They did it in about 60 seconds for both legs and didn't charge anything. They also charged the nitrogen back up for pennies. Some use a homemade PVC setup for driving in the bushings and seals with good success, and it's reported here on this forum somewhere. I had to make a damper rod holder out of an old aluminum bicycle seatpost using only a hacksaw and file. It worked great. I also have an air impact tool and tank which helped in disassembly and assembly of the fork.

The beauty of the Race Tech system is that it will walk a first-timer through a total rebuild and valve stack mod with excellent text and video. I learned a ton about suspension in general, and it was a most satisfying experience. Some will say that you can achieve the same results with just a shim tweak, but some bikes...especially dual sport models...have shock/fork piston design flaws that shims alone won't address, hence the benefit of the Gold Valve. I'm sure than many/most high end modern dirt bikes have decent shim stack and valve setups that just need shim tuning, but some others don't.