Sign in to follow this  

throttle stall

i have a 2008 klx 110. when it is idleing and i open the throttle wide open quickly, it will stall out. this is after the bike has been running and is warm. my idle is right where it needs to be so i dont really know whats wrong. any help is appreciated.

I know it seems extreme but take the carb apart and clean your pilot jet!!! I have struggled with my sons KLX and it's idle, until I got it jetted correct it was a fist fight. With a pipe and air box mod I am running a 85 main and a pilot, I think a stock bike has a 80/38 if you put a 40 pilot it might help. If you do not have access to jets try to pick up a cheep set of number drills and open them up a step at a time. I went to 40 first and it ran better but the 42 ran outstanding.

Note: The carb can be off and apart in a few minutes don't be afraid there are very few parts in side , about the only thing that can come out is the float pivot pin and needle seat.

Good luck.

My son's also has/had this problem. I have read many posts on jets being clogged on new or near new bikes. Some refer to packing material or the likes in the jets. I cleaned his and made sure to blow out any debris in the vent hoses. There was some stringy material on the pilot jet. I also drilled out the slug in the head pipe and it seems to be running much better. Noticeably more power as well.(used a 19/32" bit as it was the largest twist bit I had around) About 30-40 degrees F outside. As Dan stated very easy to take carb off and clean it, dig in and be rewarded! I am waiting to do airbox mod till I have some jets on hand. Thanx Dan for the jet #'s to get started on this!!

Dan's got it right . . . these bikes are super lean from the dealer.

We run 42/85 in the stocker with airbox mod and CHM pipe and 42/90 in the stocker with BBR pipe and airbox mod. Both airboxes are full opened at the frame opening and both run UNI high flow filters. Dump the stock filter first thing.

Jumping from the 38 pilot to a 42 will also help on the pilot clogging when sitting. Another easy trick is to turn off the gas and run the bike until the carb dry before putting it away for a week or more.

Good luck . . .

Sorry to Hijack...

I have a 08 KLX110, with a ProCircuit pipe and silencer... No airbox mod. It tends to stutter a little when reving up. Any suggestions on which jets I should run? Bike currently has 80/38.

Also, I've heard a lot of people using small washers to shim the needle... Should I do the same?

Sorry to Hijack...

I have a 08 KLX110, with a ProCircuit pipe and silencer... No airbox mod. It tends to stutter a little when reving up. Any suggestions on which jets I should run? Bike currently has 80/38.

Also, I've heard a lot of people using small washers to shim the needle... Should I do the same?

I would bump the pilot for sure to a 40. Better yet opent up the airbox then just install a 42 pilot. The main might be ok or mabe an 85. The shim is a simple mod where you install a #2 washer (I got mine at Radio Shack) under the needle in the throttle body. The washer is 1mm thick and raises the needle to richen the mixture. Unscrew the cap remove the needle and slide. Take off the cable and spring. By hand push out the needle. Install the washer under the needle and re-install.

The biggest thing you need to remember is when you adjust the air in or exhaust out you need to do them together AND jet. Big pipes with stock airboxes will be a pain to jet. Pod filters and stock pipes will also be difficult to get right.

this is all very confusing to me as i am somewhat new. are there any good carb cleaning tutorials out there?

Pretty simple.

your carb will differ slightly from one used here. Don't be afraid, you can do it!

this is all very confusing to me as i am somewhat new. are there any good carb cleaning tutorials out there?

It does seems a little overwhelming the first time, but once you do it the first time you will be set. These carbs are very simple. One pilot, One main, One air screw. The first time I did it, the entire float bowl fell out and I thought I would never get it back in. With a little patience all was well. Once you get it you will be amazed how easy it is.

I did a complete carb off clean at the track last weekend while the kids ate lunch. Carb off (2 mins) jets out (30 sec) Carb spray (30 sec) jets in (30sec) bowl on (15 sec) back on bike (2 mins). Fired up first kick. I spent more time trying to find the carb cleaner in the trailer.

Good luck