Sign in to follow this  

KTM 65 old vs new

I need to get my boy a 65 and would love a new KTM 65, but that is out of the price range. I have found a 2000 KTM 65 SX that is like new for 1000, but I dont know if it is worth buying this old of bike. Have they made any big changes to the bikes from 2000 to 2008 (I think 09 is when they made a big change) or should I get a new KX 65

As much as I would have liked to put my son on a KTM 65, the prices were just too high for the quality and age of bikes (used) that fit my budget. I have also read about issues the KTM 65's have had, maybe not extreme, but enough to make me leary. The RM's and KX's are identical and have remained the same for many years. They are darn good solid little bikes. I am very impressed with the RM I bought. My son has taken very well to it. They can be had much cheaper too.

I have seen a RM that looked clean but didn't want anything to do with it because I didn't want to have to go the the Suzuki deal to get parts, but all the part off a KX fit the RM?

I have seen a RM that looked clean but didn't want anything to do with it because I didn't want to have to go the the Suzuki deal to get parts, but all the part off a KX fit the RM?

My RM's frame says, "Manufactured by Kawasaki" on it. identical bikes, the 65's are anyway.

I don't go to the dealer much anyway, to easy to order parts here or anywhere else online. I do have a good Yamaha, Kawasaki dealer though.

My son has an 2004 65sx and it has been a pretty good bike. I bought it used about 2 years ago and I think it was ridden a lot harder than they let on. I've had to do things like put in new water pump shaft and seals, rebuild back brake caliper, rebuilt front brake master cylinder, swing arm bearings, brake pads, new top end, couple of chain slides, couple of chains, sprockets, lots of tires etc etc. It has done many, many miles in the desert and at least 12 desert races.

Everything I read is the KTM has way better suspension than the Suzuki/Kawasaki out of the box which is what sold me. That may not matter as much to you. There were definitely changes along the way and I think a 2000 is probably a little too old for a KTM 65sx due to the changes.

For sure I want the bike to have a great suspension. We were at a race 2 weekends ago and I seen 2 kids get tossed because the suspension was not set up right, or not working right. I think parents are crazy to turn there kids loss on a bike that isn't up to there ability where it is to much bike or not enough. That is my biggest hang up on the 2000 I sure the motor would have plenty of power but I want the thing to be up to par with brakes and handling

for $1000, the 2000 is too much, IMHO. I paid less than that for my low hour '03 RM.

There are many, many kids racing and jumping KX's and RM's. There may be more adjustment on the SX, but for most kids, the susp isn't holding them back.

Don't get me wrong, I would like to have my son on a KTM, but the prices are way out of line here for what I can get for the jap 65's. My son will start racing HS's this year.

It's funny that on the small bikes, the SX's are thought to have better susp, but when talking about the big bikes, the japs get the nod. lol of course, that's not what I think about the big bikes. :banana: