Sign in to follow this  

i bought a lemon!

i bought an 04 crf450r in like november that had never been started, it sat for 5 years never started and its been a pain ever since, the carb had problems when i first got it, i finally got that lined out, then it was hard 2 start so i found that the timing was off 1 tooth, then recently it started making valve noise bc my air filter didnt seal but they havent closed up so im still ridin it, then today i noticed in time b4 something screwed up that my oil was all the way to the fill tube and the trans was dry.. so now i gotta put a right side crank seal in it. i just needed 2 vent and also wanted 2 ask if theres any other seals i should replace when i put the crank seal in

With all due respect you didn't get a "lemon" you bought a bike that sat for 5 years and that someone changed the cam timing on and then let dirt into the motor.

With all due respect you didn't get a "lemon" you bought a bike that sat for 5 years and that someone changed the cam timing on and then let dirt into the motor.

Wingman is right and he's being very nice about it.. :banana:

You want to check the cam chain tensioner. They can back off. The 04 usually didnt, but you should still check. If the thing is making a bunch of noise but still starts ok and the valve lash is ok, check the chain.

Youve gotta ask yourself; how did the cam timing get wrong in the first place?

never been started but the timing was off ? sounds fishy, the dealer would have started it before it was sold.

how do you lose all the tranny oil and not notice ?

you may have got swindled by a clever con man.

i have a mcct in it now, thats not the problem... the bike had no marks on the frame or cases and had no gas n the tank etc. it was obviously a stock bike that had never been started by the guy. thats not the point.. all im askin is if theres any seals i need 2 replace while im there. i had been hillclimbing all day and it was slick so the bike was layed over quite a bit and basically upside down, i started it and got some blue smoke and heard the kickstart idler squeal so i shut it off then i saw the oil. i came home did an oil change, started it and the same thing so i no it wasnt just bc it was upside down