Sign in to follow this  

longer cables or brake lines - XR400

I was wondering...

What are you all doing for when you put tall bars/bar risers on the XR400, and need longer cables or brake lines?

I'm currently re-routing the cables behind the bars, instead of in front of them (like a 650R) however would rather lengthen the cables and have them in front. The brake line is a bit short too... and I guess I could go braided, or maybe another model or year bike has longer (currently I'm using the 450R brake line)?

... any ideas would be helpful. Thanks! :banana:

Ha Ha Ha, I put taller handle bars and risers on an XR400r front end... My cables are fine:p. I don't know for sure what you have now (:banana:).

However, I am enjoying the new flavor that you have brought to this forum. You have shifted us to another gear and I love it.:lol:

Oh, I am still taking notes.:banana:

Ha Ha Ha, I put taller handle bars and risers on an XR400r front end... My cables are fine:p. I don't know for sure what you have now (:banana:).

However, I am enjoying the new flavor that you have brought to this forum. You have shifted us to another gear and I love it.:lol:

Oh, I am still taking notes.:banana:

I have a GPR V2, that raised the bars 1/2" ... I also have KX-High Pro-Tapers... another 97mm rise.

(and the seat is a Gutz Tall soft foam... not a bike for the shrimp-riders. But for us 'taller guys' 6' and over - I'm 6'3")

The cables will reach, but are a bit tight. I prefer plenty of slack, and therefore am asking about longer cables... or what others have done if at all anything.

... and thanks, I'll show the "flavor" almost done... as it's just about to come off the stand. :banana:

I was wondering...

What are you all doing for when you put tall bars/bar risers on the XR400, and need longer cables or brake lines?

I'm currently re-routing the cables behind the bars, instead of in front of them (like a 650R) however would rather lengthen the cables and have them in front. The brake line is a bit short too... and I guess I could go braided, or maybe another model or year bike has longer (currently I'm using the 450R brake line)?

... any ideas would be helpful. Thanks! :banana:

I have CR high protaper's and a set of 1.5" up and 1.25" forward bar risers with all clutch and throttle stock cables. I have had to route them a little differently. Rotating the position of the throttle tube helps to get a better angle for the cables to go down in front. Another thing that I did was not try and keep the cables down in the clip on the side of the frame that has a part of the wiring harness and the throttle cables in it. doing those things added enough slack to make it work nicely. The only problem with the clutch was routing it around the hand guard mount. I have only had these bar risers on the bike with CR forks for a while, haven't gotten to ride it yet, but from testing it on the stand it appeared that there wouldn't be any problems. I had no problems at all when running without the risers.

I haven't had a problem with the brake line. Plenty long on my bike. I am using the xr400 caliper, brake line, and master cylinder but they appeared to be the same length when i was setting it up. I have been using it in that setup since January of 08 with no problems. The only thing i could say is try using the XR4 front brake system. It bolted directly on to my cr250 forks.

I have the BRP upper Triple with Scotts forward mount damper. I was running ATV Hi Bars which are like running CR Highs with 2" risers. I've since switched to MSR Freestyles 1 1/8" bars. I like the fat bars but I miss the height so I'm eventually going to switch to a sub mount kit witch will put the bars back up where I like them.

The forward mount damper causes some routing issues so I've done what your talking about by routing the clutch and the throttle cables on the rider's side of the bars.

-The clutch routing is a little tight but works.

-The brake line was fine, no need for a longer cable.

-The Throttle cables are great except they are annoying when checking oil.

-The decomp cable won't reach with either setup unless I run it in the center of the bars which I didn't like. I switched to the XR650R clutch perch which has an integrated decomp lever. My March purchase is going to be custom cables by motion pro. They cost about $35 a piece and I can have them made to any length.

With ATV High Bars:

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=73813

With MSR Freestyle Bars:

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=84165

Interesting... all you guys have different routing techniques and come up with different results that work... very cool.

I've got mine taken care of I think, and I can't use my stock XR brake assembly anymore... it's gone, to Puerto Rico :banana: I sold all my front end parts already... first day on Craigs List ($800 cash)

... I'll see about my front brake line, and the options... as I'd like it to route differently and to do so it needs to be longer.

Keep those options coming!

We do dodge a few trees down here. So, I did trim the bars 1" narrower. I'm sure this helped offset the extra cable length needed for the risers. (Probably not what you what for desert).

I have the GPR V.2 with Burlenson Bend bars which help raise more.

My brake cable is fine , however, I used TERRY CABLE for the other 3 which were made a bit longer and all is fine.

Good luck.

I have the Scotts/BRP sub-mount and Ffast flex bars which are the same height as the Renthal CR Highs. I'm also using the XR650R clutch/decomp lever combo. I also have a Gutz tall seat and I'm also 6'3". :banana:

That said, the only cable I had to extend was the decompression cable. I'm in San Diego and there's a shop here, Clairemont Cycle Supply, that made up the custom cable for me.

Like others, I rotated my throttle housing forward to make more room.

I have the Scotts/BRP sub-mount and Ffast flex bars which are the same height as the Renthal CR Highs. I'm also using the XR650R clutch/decomp lever combo. I also have a Gutz tall seat and I'm also 6'3". :banana:

That said, the only cable I had to extend was the decompression cable. I'm in San Diego and there's a shop here, Clairemont Cycle Supply, that made up the custom cable for me.

Like others, I rotated my throttle housing forward to make more room.

CCS huh?! Very cool... I live in Clairemont. :lol: ... small world

I'm using an ASV F3 lever combo (with hot start) as my decomp lever... and boy oh boy, it works great. I did route my clutch and decomp cable behind the bars and it's working great so far... the throttle didn't need to be turned to allow the length, it worked but I also re-routed the cables to the right side of the frame (front brake lever side). They don't seem to bind on the oil cooler lines as I made sure to protect them.

... I'll look into CCS, and ask them if they can do other cables as well. It'd be nice to get them all back up front where they belong... but it's not necessary at this point (I've not had them snag my chest protector just yet :banana:)

CCS huh?! Very cool... I live in Clairemont. :banana: ... small world

I'm in Clairemont too, over by Clairemont Square. Sent you a PM.

I'm in Clairemont too, over by Clairemont Square. Sent you a PM.

Super small world! (I'm literally 2 miles away) ... PM sent back

Yeti... you are the man...! :lol:

I called Clairemont Cycle, and they'll extend or remake my cables within a day or two. They have a silver solder pot on site!! So cool!! So convenient!!

So, instead of re-routing to make my cables work... I'm removing them and dropping them off with CC to have them taken care of "properly" (adding 3" to all of them). I just wasn't happy with my re-route (even though it'd work just fine), and will be able to sleep at night knowing they are a better fit once corrected.

Now, I'm off to WestFlex in National City to have them custom make me a brake line (adding 6" to the 450R line length). I know there's other oppurtunities (like make my own), but they've got all kinds of cool parts/hoses to choose from. I just hope cost isn't through the roof! They too will make my brake line today, so I'll have it done for the weekend!

... man, check that off the list! Thanks Yeti! :banana:

Edited by johnnyairtime

Yeti... you are the man...! :lol:

I called Clairemont Cycle, and they'll extend or remake my cables within a day or two. They have a silver solder pot on site!! So cool!! So convenient!!

So, instead of re-routing to make my cables work... I'm removing them and dropping them off with CC to have them taken care of "properly" (adding 3" to all of them). I just wasn't happy with my re-route (even though it'd work just fine), and will be able to sleep at night knowing they are a better fit once corrected.

Now, I'm off to WestFlex in National City to have them custom make me a brake line (adding 6" to the 450R line length). I know there's other oppurtunities (like make my own), but they've got all kinds of cool parts/hoses to choose from. I just hope cost isn't through the roof! They too will make my brake line today, so I'll have it done for the weekend!

... man, check that off the list! Thanks Yeti! :banana:

Quick update...

I had Industrial Liquidators make me a brake line (Earls), they were right there... where I was, so it worked out better (than the 20min drive to WestFlex). $50

And Clairemont Cycle quoted $120 to do all 4 cables. (clutch, compression release, and throttle). We'll see when they're done... should be 2 days (I hope sooner).

Quick update...

I had Industrial Liquidators make me a brake line (Earls), they were right there... where I was, so it worked out better (than the 20min drive to WestFlex). $50

And Clairemont Cycle quoted $120 to do all 4 cables. (clutch, compression release, and throttle). We'll see when they're done... should be 2 days (I hope sooner).

Jamie (Clairemont Cycle) was great with my decomp cable. I gave him the stock one to work off and asked for the same thing, just 3" longer. Problem was, I'm using the XR650R perch which has a shorter free cable length. So the first shot the housing was perfect but the inside cable was too long. 100% my bad. So Jamie shortened the inner cable by 1 1/2" per my request. That was too short. :lol: I forgot I had taken all the slack out at the mount on the engine and now I had no room to work with. 100% my fault again. Luckily, I called Jamie and he still had the solder pot hot so I zipped back over there and he re-did it for the THIRD time and now it's perfect.

I am an idiot and he was very patient and easy going about the whole thing. :banana:

......... Luckily, I called Jamie and he still had the solder pot hot so I zipped back over there and he re-did it for the THIRD time and now it's perfect.

I am an idiot and he was very patient and easy going about the whole thing. :banana:

Yes... your lucky it wasn't the cost of three cables being made up (even though parts would have been less and less). Very nice of him.

At lunch, I installed the brake line and just have to say... another huge "hip hip hooray" for Mighty-Vac!! What would I do without one?! ... scream probably, like a little girl in frustration. Front brake is on, and done. All in a lunch hour (from removal, being made up, to final install)? Gotta love it!

anyone know if cr250 brake lines will work on a xr400, xr650r, xr650L?

are they interchangeable? between all these bikes?