Sign in to follow this  

cam chain doesn't move

I have two engines. My modded engine and a stocker. I'm trying to swap the cylinders, cylinder heads, and piston's. I was going fine, but when I got to trying to put the cam chain sprocket on, the cam chain appeared to be short. Just slightly.

This happen on both engines. One I stopped on. The other, I tried to crank the kickstarter to free it up and it did. I installed the cam chain, but when I try to crank the kickstarter, the cam chain doesn't move. What did I do wrong? Do I just need to push in the cam tensioner? Any suggestions would be helpful.

P.S. I'm done with engine work. It's just too frustrating. I'm going to let the pros do the rest. It drives me nuts sometimes.

no tensioner means no tension... LOL

It's all good... I learn better after I do it wrong...

You did all this without a service manual...man you're good. Yea, you should have removed the tensioner and re-install and adjust after everything was put back together. Curious to why you swapped out parts?

Ouch! Hold on a second. I have to pick myself off the ground cuz you guys beat me up! :banana:

Problem solved. No, it wasn't the tensioner. The cam chain actually did what I was hoping it didn't do. I came off the bottom gear. I had to go in behind the flywheel and put it back on. I'm good. Thanks.

oh, mine did that too.

after some explatives and such i managed to fish it back onto the sprocket.

i then tied a huge piece of safety wire and nailed it to the small overhang over my workbench to keep tesnsion on it LOL

I didn't think it was possible to do that. I'd never heard anyone mention that one. I'll be using HeyBuddy's method next time!!! In fact, I think I'll weld the damn thing in place! That will teach it who's boss! Damn chain.

I didn't think it was possible to do that. I'd never heard anyone mention that one. I'll be using HeyBuddy's method next time!!! In fact, I think I'll weld the damn thing in place! That will teach it who's boss! Damn chain.

i used a long skinny flathead down the case to un jam the damn thing cause it would get stuck in there.

then with a worklight and some luck with the screwdriver it slipped back on.

it fell off that sprocket at pretty much every stage of my re-assembly, LOL

but yeah, next time just tie a big piece of safety wire on the top end, it helps to fish it through the cyl. and then through the head (mike already installed my cam/rockers and sealed my head when i got it back so i had to use this method)

P.S. dont drop the cam sprocket bolts down the case :banana:

p.p.s. dont drop the cam chain slider either, its a pita to get back in place. lol