Sign in to follow this  

cleaning up the motor and frame on a 06 250f

I just bought a 2006 yzf 250. Its my first aluminum frame. It has some oxidizeing on the frame and the motor cases. Can anyone tell me how to clean it up. Is there a safe acid I can buy that will clean it up or some kind of aluminum cleaning wash, anything will help. thank you all

Some simple green for initial cleaning and then I use some SOS pads and some elbow grease. To top it off I spray it all down with WD 40 and wipe it down.

Heres what my 06 looked like after doing the above to the frame and sub frame when I prepped it to sell.

DSCN6563.jpg

DSCN6565.jpg

DSCN6567.jpg

DSCN6572.jpg

DSCN6571.jpg

DSCN6575.jpg

it looks better than new. i ll give it a shot. one question tho. do you use the sos pads dry or in combinaton with the simple green. thanks

+1 for SOS pads. Use them wet b/c they have a soap inside that is for cutting grease and rust on pots and pans, but it works really well on bikes. I wash my bikes, then I scrub the aluminum with a wet SOS pad while the bike is still wet, let the soap from the pad sit on there for a minute or two, then rinse it off.

i acid clean the frame. its the only way to go omg, but you will want to strip it down to a bare frame because depending on what kind of cleaner you get it can strip the zine plating of alot of the bolts and what not... and i used steel wool and a wire wheel on the engine.

wd40 and sos pad is good for each time you wash but the acid will clean the inside of the frame rails also

DSC_0131.jpg

+1 for SOS pads. Use them wet b/c they have a soap inside that is for cutting grease and rust on pots and pans, but it works really well on bikes. I wash my bikes, then I scrub the aluminum with a wet SOS pad while the bike is still wet, let the soap from the pad sit on there for a minute or two, then rinse it off.

Exactly what KJ says here. I just used the simple green for the initial bike washing then use the SOS pads with water. Dont for get to wipe it down with WD 40 when you are done. :banana: