Sign in to follow this  

engine for xt 350

the chain broke on the bike and broke a hole in the case. need either a case or a rebuildable engine anyone have any links to either please let me know. the bike is low to mid 90s but im sure there all the same

Any chance you know a welder that could just patch up the hole? I wouldn't think the chain could do enough damage to require a new engine. If you do go the replacement route, they are all the same from '85 on up to when they stopped making them in '00.

Psycho

The cases are matched so you would have to get both halves. If welding won't work, I know I seen them on ebay every once in a while. I would also think a motercycle salvage yard would have one. I can't imagine that cases ar big sellers.

Might give these folks a call they are local to me and have a wrecked 96 xt350 with very few miles on it and the engine is good. try Outback Motorsports @ (706) 374-3470

Denny

Curious, was this a 428 size chain that broke on your bike???? I am flabbergast that Yamaha has put a 4000lb +,-, tensile strength chain on this little beast. Definately, if you use your 350 for dirt, upgrade the final drive to 520 size, 7000lb +,-. It took me some searching to find the specs on 520 spockets that fit. I do not have the info with me but could get it for you if you like.

I rode my '93 with the stock chain set-up for 16 years through the gnarliest offroad conditions you can imagine and only had 1 chain failure, at the master-link. If properly adjusted, I think the 428 can hang just fine. Only my personal opinion. Now if you modify the bike to give a ton more power, pop the clutch on the street a bunch, or have the chain adjusted too tight, it may be a different story. Good luck with getting your cases mended. Also, the XT350 thread over on ADVrider has all the part numbers for the 520 conversion.