Sign in to follow this  

PV cleaning without taking apart?

Just wondering if you can take the pipe and metal flange off and clean the PV parts while still in the motor? Never worked on one so a little nervous about taking it apart but would like to give it a quick cleaning. Would carb cleaner work? Also, do you need to use premix to lube it or can you use regular motor oil when done? Thanks for any tips!

You can clean some of the carbon of the face of the PV valve just by taking the pipe off, but that is not usually the problem or at least not the only problem.

The problem is deposits, gum and carbon, on the moving parts of the PV mechanism. You have to take the exhaust flange off to get to the bearing surfaces of the flapper, the auxiliary valves and the gears that move them. This is best done with the cylinder off the bike IMO. Also, you want to get behind and around the flapper valve when cleaning. You also want to inspect the parts mentioned for wear.

If your power valve is gummed up it is probably time to inspect the piston and cylinder walls too.

Gary

Basically, what Gary said, NO. It's surprisingly simple to disassemble the jug and PV.

what bike?

99' 200 EXC. I haven't had any problems yet but bought the bike used and just trying to maintain it properly. I will probably look into it when I look into replacing the piston. Thanks!

99' 200 EXC. I haven't had any problems yet but bought the bike used and just trying to maintain it properly. I will probably look into it when I look into replacing the piston. Thanks!

check out my PV pictorial in the FAQ sticky, and you will see why you really can't clean the PV properly by just pulling the pipe.

On my '08 300 you can remove the pipe and exhaust flange and have pretty good access to the PV. I have done this twice now. It's easy to clean the flapper and gear mechanisms on either side.

When it's finally time to pull the head and cylinder then you can give it the 100% cleaning routine. Until then, the 80% method will work pretty darn well.

:prof:I will say...I have noticed since I switched from Golden Spectro to Motul 710, the PV was remarkably cleaner. I'm using the same mix ratio and roughly the same amount of time between cleanings.

-Jay

on the 125/200 you just cant clean any parts except the gears and they are not what gets carboned and sticky, so it has to come apart

Gmoss's sticky helped me out for jetting and cleaning the pv,also try youtube for cleaning the pv,theres lots of great info vids from rocky mountain and other companys.