Sign in to follow this  

Wideband AFR on my XR650R

Took some time and installed an Innovate wideband. Was actually pretty easy and seems to be working great!

Video:

IMG_2335.jpg

IMG_2334.jpg

Your link doesn't work. I am very interested in hearing how it works. Where did you get that setup and how much did it cost you? Does it have recording capabilities and does it accept a TPS input in order to graph fuel ratio versus throttle position?

Edited by D0T-C0M

Nice!

Now, should it be at 14.7 where cars should be at idle/cruising? Or is it supposed to be in the 12's? I have an AEM Uego in my car, never thought to try it out on the bike.

Your link doesn't work. I am very interested in hearing how it works. Where did you get that setup and how much did it cost you? Does it have recording capabilities and does it accept a TPS input in order to graph fuel ratio versus throttle position?

Try the link again, youtube is stupid sometimes.

The kits run about $289-$340 or so depending on options.

They all allow you to connect a computer to datalog. They have numerous other options for recording too.

Yes, the systems can log other inputs as well, the kit I have has analog inputs.

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/MTS.php

Nice!

Now, should it be at 14.7 where cars should be at idle/cruising? Or is it supposed to be in the 12's? I have an AEM Uego in my car, never thought to try it out on the bike.

Yep, looks a bit rich huh? The bike is uncorked, aftermarket filter. 175 main, 68s pilot.

alexchannell Thanks the video works now. What kit do you have? model number?

alexchannell Thanks the video works now. What kit do you have? model number?

I have the LM-1 (this is the wideband controller and sensor - it includes the bung and everything you need if you just want to record to a computer)

I also have the XD-16 gauge for realtime viewing (includes different faces and bezels).

The controller has an output that you can either connect to guages or a computer, or both. It's a very flexible system (and supposedly the most accurate consumer wideband).

Thanks a lot for the info. I have been reading through their website but cannot find where it says it will accept the TPS signal. I'm sure the info is there somewhere because on their sample screenshots of the logging software it shows throttle opening, I'll keep looking.

Did you use the logging software. If so how was the computer connectivity? was it straight forward, easy to use?

Thanks a lot for the info. I have been reading through their website but cannot find where it says it will accept the TPS signal. I'm sure the info is there somewhere because on their sample screenshots of the logging software it shows throttle opening, I'll keep looking.

Did you use the logging software. If so how was the computer connectivity? was it straight forward, easy to use?

It will accept any 0-5V signal and graph it from what I have read. I don't have a TPS so i have not tried to use this feature or if it is supported with the equipment I have. This allows it to do water temp, boost, throttle position, or any other linear signal.

The software is easy, it's just a serial port connection. I already changed the sweep for the AFR and the LEDs for the varying ratios.

Out of curiousity, why did you install this unit? Did you need it as a calibration tool or just wanted to know what your ratio is. I am very interested in it because I just installed a new FCR-MX carb on my XRL. If you used it to tune your carb how was it as a calibration tool? When you changed the jetting were you able to see the ratio change?

Out of curiousity, why did you install this unit? Did you need it as a calibration tool or just wanted to know what your ratio is. I am very interested in it because I just installed a new FCR-MX carb on my XRL. If you used it to tune your carb how was it as a calibration tool? When you changed the jetting were you able to see the ratio change?

I was always doubtful of tuning "by feel" or "by look of the plug" that is the reason.

I have not recieved new jets yet to begin messing with the carb. I was also planning on a different carb or EFI.

I was always doubtful of tuning "by feel" or "by look of the plug" that is the reason.

I have not recieved new jets yet to begin messing with the carb. I was also planning on a different carb or EFI.

I will looking for your feedback once you start tuning to see how well it helps when tuning. Thanks again for sharing this info. :banana:

I will looking for your feedback once you start tuning to see how well it helps when tuning. Thanks again for sharing this info. :thumbsup:

In the middle of moving so I haven't had a chance to play. Some things I have noticed though...

Very easy to see the lean spot when cracking the throttle fast.

Some of the delay when cracking the throttle is because the bike has a rich spot (11:1) in the midrange, once it picks up to 12.3 or so it takes off much better.

I ordered a innovate LC-1 with a DB gauge. I almost got the same kit as you but this one I got for $189 and I don't think it will be a permanent thing on my bike after I get my new FCR-MX carb tuned.

I would have like to have been able to connect my TPS signal and log throttle position versus fuel ratio. It would have been much easier as I will have to do real time analysis and estimate what the throttle position is at any given time. I am eager to get started. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

I ordered a innovate LC-1 with a DB gauge. I almost got the same kit as you but this one I got for $189 and I don't think it will be a permanent thing on my bike after I get my new FCR-MX carb tuned.

I would have like to have been able to connect my TPS signal and log throttle position versus fuel ratio. It would have been much easier as I will have to do real time analysis and estimate what the throttle position is at any given time. I am eager to get started. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Cool!

I don't think you'll need the TPS, you can tell how much the throttle is turned. You also have the varience in RPMs too. I've noticed it's pretty easy to tell under what conditions its running rich/lean.

I thought about making my temporary, but in the end, it looked like it was going to be a lot of work to tie it in each time. I found a nice clean way of installing so I think I'll leave it installed. It did require shortening some of the harnesses though.

Well I did a little work to the bike.

Mods:

Uni air filter with the built in backfire screen.

Uncorked + HRC exhaust baffle

wiseco 11:1 piston.

Hotcam stage 1

175main, 68S pilot, comp needle (I think its 3rd from the top)

Elevation:650ft, temp 75 degrees F, humidity...oh about 60%?

The bike was running 11 AFR in the lower RPMs and low 12s as the RPMs increased. Idle was right at 12.

I thought this was a bit rich everywhere so I switched to 170 main, 65S pilot.

The bike is no idleing at 13, WOT is now 11.5 at low RPM and 12-12.5 at higher RPMs

This was a much smaller change than I was expecting. I turned the fuel screw to adjust idle mixture but as I get close to 14 the bike idle becomes rough. The bike no longer stalls when coming down from a stoppie as it did with the richer jetting.

I cannot feel a power difference.