Sign in to follow this  

fouled spark plug ??? 2010 sxf 450

Well 2nd ride today got to the track hit the e-start, choke for a second turned off the choke and the bike spit and puttered then just quit. Took about an hour to find the problem and found my plug was fouled, very wet. Whats up with that on a 4 stroke, never had that happen on any of my 4 strokes in 5 years, all Jap bikes? I seen this on a 2 stroke, pretty common, but not a 4 stroke. Motor has a bout 4 hrs on it now. I did change the pilot jet to a 45 from the factory setting, it was way to lean, should I go back now thats it's broken in?

Thanks...

The #42 PJ isn´t too lean at all. Do this test ; Try to start your bike (with the #45 PJ ) without the choke the first time you start it for the day . If it starts then your PJ is too rich. Where did you get the idea the #42 PJ being lean in the first place ?

The mechanic at the dealer put it on. He took it out in their field out back of their shop came right back and slapped a new pilot jet in. You think its running to rich now and that's what fouled my plug after break in?. I'll tell them to put the stock jet back in or I'll do it. It was popping "bad" when he 1st rode it and would not idle at all, just FYI. The 45 pj seemed to help at the time...

Hey Villie,

Update, won't start without the choke on. "cold" didn't need the choke the rest of the day after it was warmed up.

Put the #42 PJ back in and check the fuel screw. Open it to 2 turns out. And give that "mechanic" a kick in the ass next time you see him. Since that expert has been the one working on your bike there´s a change there´s some dirt in the carb. Plastic shavings from the tank or something. Something that a real mechanic is supposed to check out before the shop delivers the bike. I would clean the carb thoroughly before changing to correct PJ. That´s actually job for that mechanic but maybe it´s better you do it yourself.

Want to make your bike run like Champ ? Get a JD kit for it. No more quesswork if the jetting is correct or not.

FYI - i live in Sweden and i´ve ridden my bike countless times in zero /sub zero celsius temps (cold enough so i need to cover the rads to get my bike in running temp) and there´s never been any reason to change over to #45 PJ eventhough the weather sure is colder than what you ever get over there in FLA. So i can´t imagine you needing to do that either.