Sign in to follow this  

loud grinding noise

I have a 2005 CRF450X. When I went riding today it started making a noise in 4th gear. It only made the noise when i was in 4th gear, full throttle, and above 7000 rpms. When i let off the throttle it stopped. It was a very loud, high-pitched grinding noise. Any ideas?

I have a 2005 CRF450X. When I went riding today it started making a noise in 4th gear. It only made the noise when i was in 4th gear, full throttle, and above 7000 rpms. When i let off the throttle it stopped. It was a very loud, high-pitched grinding noise. Any ideas?

Did the noise change pitch with RPM?

Have you been riding it for 5 years?

Do you do extensive regular maintenance (tranny oil, motor oil)?

There is a 3rd/4th gear issue with the '05's if you don't run a qt of fresh, quality oil in the tranny at all times.

My guess would be the clutch bearing is going.

With the very small amount of info you have given so far, it's hard to say what is wrong and what it will take.

Do you have a local shop or mechanic that can give you advice?

if it was the clutch bearing wouldnt it make the noise when you pull the clutch in?

have you tried to run all the gears at 7000 RPMs to see if the noise comes back?

Doesnt the gears in the trany spin at all times for the most part?

I was thinking it could be a cam bearing, or a crank bearing. I am not trying to make you nervous it is just a guess, me no mechanic.

have you tried to run all the gears at 7000 RPMs to see if the noise comes back?

Doesnt the gears in the trany spin at all times for the most part?

I was thinking it could be a cam bearing, or a crank bearing. I am not trying to make you nervous it is just a guess, me no mechanic.

Its too hard to diagnose from text and we would just be guessing to be honest.... Take it to your local shop and have them check it out.... It could be something simple, or something serious.. but its not worth riding till you have it checked out..