Sign in to follow this  

Thor Force knee guards breaking a femur?

I am looking for some new knee/shin guards and was thinking of the 2010 Thor Force knee guards and the 661 nitro knee/shin guard. Do you think eaither of these could break a femur? The 661 Nitro is suposed to stop hyperextension so maybe the force would be transfered to the femur. They both have a strap that go above the knee. Thanks for any help.

Anything with a "stop" could have that potential. If the stop is violent enough it is certainly possible the force transfered would be great enough.

A plastic knee guard will break long before your femur breaks. The risk of broken femurs only increases with a rigid carbon fiber knee brace.

I have the guards in question, they aren't going to break anything. It's more than a guard but less than a brace.

I would rather break a femur, than eff up a knee.

Yeah, especially considering the broken femur is the only one of those two events that can easily be a life threatening situation....

Makes sense.

I would rather break a femur, than eff up a knee.

Most medical experts will tell you a broken femur is a much more serious injury than a few torn knee ligaments.

A plastic knee guard will break long before your femur breaks. The risk of broken femurs only increases with a rigid carbon fiber knee brace.

+1

I wear the Thor Force knee guards. Great for impact protection and probably a little support for minor tweaks, but most definitely not a brace that will add to the risk of a broken femur. That's exactly why I went with them.

Yeah, especially considering the broken femur is the only one of those two events that can easily be a life threatening situation....

Makes sense.

My thoughts exactly. Broken femur? F that. The femur is the last bone in my body that I would want to break. Id take almost any injury over that.

I actually stopped wearing my CTI II because of this. Just got my leg back to strength in the gym so that I could do without the brace.

Broken femur over a knee injury? No way. You run the risk of cutting arteries with bone fragments, increased risk for blood clots, and fat emboli. Pelvic fractures are bad too.

As far as the forces, they would most likely break in the event of a crash where extreme forces/extention would come into play. I personaly don't like the forces. Way too bulky for my likings. I can barely get my tech 10's closed with them on and the straps on the biggest setting. Most importantly, they're down right uncomfortable. The straps chaffe the hell out of my legs and not to mention if you don't get the velcro 100% covered, it will eat the back of your knee cap. Quality has also been an issue with mine. They have a one year factory warranty on them. I think this is the 6th or so "new" set that I have. Within 2 months or so it seems all the stitching just falls apart, so I just take them to the PU rep and he gets me a new set. Pretty sure I'll be going sixsixone this season.

I love mine, perfect fit, but they are not braces, I consider them one step below a full brace

Most medical experts will tell you a broken femur is a much more serious injury than a few torn knee ligaments.

+1

I wear the Thor Force knee guards. Great for impact protection and probably a little support for minor tweaks, but most definitely not a brace that will add to the risk of a broken femur. That's exactly why I went with them.

Ok thanks. How far does the top stap go up you knee on the Thor forces?

Makes sense.

Ya I think a broken femur would be worse also thats why I dont want and guards/barces that will increase my chances of breaking my femur.

Broken femur over a knee injury? No way. You run the risk of cutting arteries with bone fragments, increased risk for blood clots, and fat emboli. Pelvic fractures are bad too.

As far as the forces, they would most likely break in the event of a crash where extreme forces/extention would come into play. I personaly don't like the forces. Way too bulky for my likings. I can barely get my tech 10's closed with them on and the straps on the biggest setting. Most importantly, they're down right uncomfortable. The straps chaffe the hell out of my legs and not to mention if you don't get the velcro 100% covered, it will eat the back of your knee cap. Quality has also been an issue with mine. They have a one year factory warranty on them. I think this is the 6th or so "new" set that I have. Within 2 months or so it seems all the stitching just falls apart, so I just take them to the PU rep and he gets me a new set. Pretty sure I'll be going sixsixone this season.

What sixsixone knee guards are you looking at buying? I can get those really cheap so I was thinking about those.

Ok thanks. How far does the top stap go up you knee on the Thor forces?

6" or so, just enough to provide impact protection for the lower part of your quadriceps above the knee.

If you hit something with enough force to break your femur, it isn't really going to matter what kind of knee guard you were wearing.

What happens with the high end braces is they keep the knee from buckling and all the force is transferred into the femur on the top edge of the brace.

What happens with the high end braces is they keep the knee from buckling and all the force is transferred into the femur on the top edge of the brace.
I understand that, but it still takes an impact with a lot of force to break a femur.

What sixsixone knee guards are you looking at buying? I can get those really cheap so I was thinking about those.

I was looking at the cyclones. The look pretty low profile and would probably fit better for me so I'm thinking about them.

I'm receiving mine tomorrow, they look like just what I want for a great price.

Holy shit if i find one more thread of yours about breaking your femur with knee guards I'm gonna go nuts.

Get the **** over it. Im trying to find some good info on knee guards and all i see is your idiotic posts about your damn femur.