Sign in to follow this  

1996 WXC350 Engine Noise

I recently picked up a 1996 WXC350 that is in great condition, starts fairly easily, but has alot of engine noise. The guy I got it from said he'd recently adjusted the valves, but the valvetrain still seemed to noisy. I readjusted the valves thinking they were too loose because of the valvetrain noise, but they were actually too tight. I have a factory service manual but it does not say anything about any adjustment of the camchain tension, just how to install the tensioner. Is there a way to adjust camchain tension, or are these motors just inherently noisy? I have a 2005 TC250 and a 2006 TC510, and they don't have anywhere near the valvetrain noise. The bike seems to have good power, idles fine, has great throttle response, just seems too noisy to me. Anyone out there have one of these bikes? Also, does anyone know where to get new plastics? The guy I got this bike from painted everything silver.

mine was always a little noisy, but sounds like you do for a cam chain.

they are auto adjusted, pull the adjuster out, if its more then a 3/4 out,,its time..

The four single cam Huskys I've owned all clatter quite a bit. I think it's normal, like Kawasaki KIPS rattle on their 2 smokes. I got used to it and it kept my buddy from buying my '95 some time ago. Glad I didn't sell it.

My Husaberg makes some strange sounds as well, but like the Huskys, I just keep the valves adjusted and fresh oil in them and they do fine.

I also have a 96 wxc 410. I just rebuilt the top end and i was hoping to get rid of the noise. Put a new gear and cam chain, and still the same noise.

You will get use to it. Just ride the thing.