Sign in to follow this  

Is a 1985 CR500 worth buying?

I am thinking about trading my crappy chinese pitbike for a 1985 CR500 in pieces?

How are the 1985 CR500s?

Thats one heck of a step from a pit bike to a cr500. They are the king but it depends on the price. If it in pieces and you are handy maybe but not running could cost quite a bit to get ridable!!! Suspention is outdated and will also need work I would imagine. Also depends what type of riding you do they are made to haul the mail will not be a good tree dodger. But thats just my opinion

I am just looking for a side project. The bike needs all electrical. The motor needs a piston and rings, which is a good thing cause I can get a look at the crank. I had a 1984 cr500 which i regret parting out.

I am capable of doing all the motor work etc. I dont use the pitbike and I would love a motor to tinker with and eventually build up little by little when I have the spare cash.

I was just curious about the 85's if they had any problems being it was the first water cooled cr500.

Most 500 owners that you ask.........there is no bad year for the 500, any are good to have.

It all comes down to prive-vs-condition.

If it's cheap, then get it and start tinkering. They are quite easy to rebuild.

I don't know of any cooling problems, even w/the early ones. The cylinder went through some changes, but the water punp in general stayed the same.

Parts availability will be limited, but you can get the parts made by a local machine shop. I restored my uncles' 1985 RM80 when I was about 9-10ish' (2003) and had a cylinder sleeve made for $125.

If you want a project and you're not in a hurry, it would be a great bike to rebuild. Parts are all over EBAY, hit and miss of course. Take a look inside the water pump for the standard corrosion problem. Let's see some pics if you decide to go through with it!!:banana:

I enjoyed my '85 back in the day. The power was totally bottom-end and it had absolutely no over-rev so you had to short-shift it even more than other CR500's. Today, I'd rate it as a great play bike but not one I'd want to race.

I hate the Chinese bikes so my vote would be to trade for the 500.

Best of luck. :banana: