Sign in to follow this  

Finally got the Keihin PWK Airstriker!

Well i went ahead and broke down and bought a Keihin PWK Airstriker carb. Got it from carb parts warehouse. They prejetted it and shipped it to me quick. Ordered it thursday and got saturday. I rode saturday with the stock mikuni with a jd jet kit and it ran pretty good. This morning i put the Keihin on. Install was very easy and went smooth. Bike started second kick with new carb on it. The only thing i had to adjust was the idle and air screw. Bike runs smooth and has no hesitation any where in the rpm range. Seems to be jetted perfect right from cpw. The mikuni i had jetted pretty good but it seems it wouldnt last and almost allways need an adjustment. Never seemed i could get it perfect no matter what i tried. We'll see when i get more seat time on the bike but im happy with the Keihin so far. Anyone need a Mikuni with a JD jet kit installed? :banana:

What year is your CR? What jetting came with the Keihin from CPW that works so well? Have you had the squish set on your head?

Keep us updated please. I've considered buying an Airstriker for one of our bikes just to see if there was a noticeable improvement. Still have the Mikunis with JD kits on both of them now and haven't really had any jetting problems. I did have to jet the '03 richer than the JD kit instructions called for but that was no big deal.

What year is your CR? What jetting came with the Keihin from CPW that works so well? Have you had the squish set on your head?

04 CR250--I didnt even look inside to see what jets they put in there. He asked me the elevation im at, which is sea level, and asked what was done to the bike for mods which is FMF fatty pipe and FMF silencer & a Boyesen rad valve. And no i havent had the squish done. I should though just havent had the time to do it. They got the jetting spot on right from CPW. I should call them and ask what jets they put in it. Do your self a favor if you order from them dont get a throttle cable from CPW because they are motion pro and they suck! I used my old stock cable and lubed it good with dry-slide and it worked great. Anyone want a new motion pro cable cheap :banana:

Keep us updated please. I've considered buying an Airstriker for one of our bikes just to see if there was a noticeable improvement. Still have the Mikunis with JD kits on both of them now and haven't really had any jetting problems. I did have to jet the '03 richer than the JD kit instructions called for but that was no big deal.

If your mikuni is tuned good your not gonna see a huge gain. My mikuni was pretty close but had a small stumble in it which i couldnt get out. The biggest gain is not having to screw with the mikuni on a week to week basis. I am not a jetting pro but i do know what a huge gain you will feel with a properly jetted bike. The Mikuni just wasnt in the sweet spot like the Keihin was right out of the box. I will keep you guys updated as i get to ride it more. Hopefully this weekend if it doesnt rain.

Yeah rode last night and i am very happy with the bike. It runs smooth and clean. No spooge, crisp throttle. May have to do minor jetting changes when it warms up but it was 60-65 degree's last night....

pncstod,

Has the squish clearance been set on your bike's cylinder head?

Any modifications other than the carb?

Carb cost me around $220 from carbwarehouse.com

I just had the squish checked and was gonna send the head out but it was .052 so no need to send the head out. Saved myself a few bucks. I rode again today and it was a little warmer, bike ran pretty good but it seems to be a tiny rich, got a little spooge from pipe seal. Gonna try some new jets but i dont even know whats in there yet. Maybe tomorrow ill take a look in the carb.

Only other mods to the bike are a FMF fatty pipe, and FMF powercore silencer and a 5mm torque spacer on the pipe.

Carb cost me around $220 from carbwarehouse.com

I just had the squish checked and was gonna send the head out but it was .052 so no need to send the head out. Saved myself a few bucks. I rode again today and it was a little warmer, bike ran pretty good but it seems to be a tiny rich, got a little spooge from pipe seal. Gonna try some new jets but i dont even know whats in there yet. Maybe tomorrow ill take a look in the carb.

Only other mods to the bike are a FMF fatty pipe, and FMF powercore silencer and a 5mm torque spacer on the pipe.

$220 is just a drop in the ocean if you're having problems getting a motor to run correctly. I'd buy one in a heartbeat if I were having any serious problems. I've been thinking of buying one anyway - just to see how my bikes like it.

Our bikes are pretty much stock motor wise too. Gnarly on the '03, Fatty on the '02, Q Stealth on both.

I didn't measure the solder from the '03 before I sent the head to RB Designs. The solders from the '02 measured .059. I had the compression bumped up to run 100 octane minimum in addition to having the squish set on both. I like 100LL AV gas. It's consistent and contains no ethanol.

pncstod,

I have an airstriker on my RM250, and it works great. the jetting they install is good for 65 degrees and up, but if it gets colder lookout. You will be lean. I am curious on how far you needed to turn in idle screw to get decent idle? I had to turn mine in quite a ways to get decent idle, and when I start the bike cold with the choke it revs quite high. Let me know how you ended up

I'm interested in the jetting they sent you as well. I'm also curious what problems you had with the Motion Pro cable.

As for the Mikuni vs PWK, I doubt there's much difference at WOT, their both a 38mm hole with a main jet. But off idle and part throttle the PWK is quite a bit more responsive IMO. My old Mikuni was a little blubbery until the bike warmed up, that's gone now, and cold starts are improved as well.