Sign in to follow this  

CRF Engine Oil! Wheres it going!??

I have searched this site and the faqs section and I have found this question asked numerous times and it always seems to be one of two things, crank seal or rings. It is neither. So I decided to start a new thread and if for some reason this question has been answered with anything other than what was mentioned above I apologize, I couldn't find it.

Details: I have an 07 CRF 450R that has approximately 20hrs on it. I have put 15hrs of hard supermoto riding on it. The guy I bought it from was a joe shmoe who didnt have a clue and probably never changed the oil and definitely didn't clean the air filter. Anyways, I change the oil and filter every 3 hrs as well as clean the air filter. I put 650cc engine oil and 650cc trans, honda oil. After one track day the oil in the sight glass is below the low mark so I always have to top it off before the next track day. It is not the rings because we did a leak down test and it is holding about 95psi before dropping. It is not a seal issue because there is no signs of motor oil in the tranny and the tranny usualy burns about 50cc of the 650cc when I empty it after 3 hours. If oil was transfering between cases I would expect to find over 650cc when I drain the trans fluid. Valves are in spec as I checked them today, if this is relevant. I am not sure what this could be. When I drain the engine oil I only get 450cc's out of the 650cc I put in it. Can my bike really be burning this much oil?? I ride the snot out of it and there is hardly any smoke coming out of the exhaust. Not sure, hopefully some of you hard core Honda mechanics can chime in?

Thanks in advance guys.

Even at 95psi? It would climb to 95-96psi, drop then spike back up again, thought maybe it was my gauge. Rings would make the most sense given the way it was broken in and neglected, but I thought that above 90psi was acceptable?

Eddie, if its the rings, would you replace just the rings or rings and piston?

PS. Are you guys coming to stateline this year?

Even at 95psi? It would climb to 95-96psi, drop then spike back up again, thought maybe it was my gauge. Rings would make the most sense given the way it was broken in and neglected, but I thought that above 90psi was acceptable?

Eddie, if its the rings, would you replace just the rings or rings and piston?

PS. Are you guys coming to stateline this year?

if you are planning on doing just rings, and can find out if rings from an 05 will work ill sell you mine, im pretty sure they will. theyre unopened OEM.

I was planning on re-ringing my piston, so I ordered the rings so I could be prepared for when I took it apart. but when I opened it up I realized the piston skirt was damaged as well as the cylinder, so I replaced the whole damn thing. got a piston/ring/circlip/wristpin setup online for 110$, so the rings I bought were never even used and basically a waste of money.

depends on what piston looks likes/measures at.

if it really has the low hours you say the piston is probably ok.

crf parts are cheap,use it to your advantage.

we arent sure on stateline. we kinda ble wour budget aquiring a 550 aprillia for the pikes peak hill climb.

Thanks Santan and Eddie. Santan, PM me a shipped price to 91709 when you get a chance and when I pull it apart to assess the damage Ill let you know. We have the STTARS coming up in a couple of weeks so im going to try to get to this soon.

Well probably see you up at pikes peak in 2011. Hopefully. That aprillia is a beast!!! Thanks again for the help. Ill post up what I find and maybe some pics, for others.

You are not performing the leak down test properly. What is the percentage loss?

I thought that I would update this thread for the benifit of other readers. First off, thanks to everyone for all of your input.

Second, youre the man Eddie! Didn't make sense but it was in fact the rings. The cylinder was still cross hatched and didn't need honing. We replaced the rings and it is 100% better!! Also, wanted to thank Sean from Damn Dummy Racing for all of the help with the install and great advice. If anyone lives in the San Diego area and is looking for a good local mechanic, he is 100% stand up! :thumbsup:

Eddie, You guys should come to socal and run Fontana with us one of these years!!:lol:

You are not performing the leak down test properly. What is the percentage loss?

He is not doing a leak down test even though he says he is,he is doing a compression test.

He is not doing a leak down test even though he says he is,he is doing a compression test.

Chinosupermotoman is saying 95psi because thats what was on the gauge. If the leak down test is performed at 100psi and 95psi is what the gauge shows then that means 5% leakage. What Chinosupermotoman should have said was that his motor had 5% leakage. So for your quote to say that Chino's mechanic is lying is a very quick assumption on your part. Chino should have explained himself better; however, you should accuse people of lying and/or ignorance on an issue that you do not have the facts. Calling out a mechanic on a site like this could potentially cause a loss of customers. If someone is dishonest or ripping people off than they should be called out. But for Wingman to say that Chino's mechanic is either lying, an idiot, or both is not exceptable.

Wingman-if you haven't figured it out yet, I'm Chino's mechanic. And I do know the difference between comp and leak down tests, and I don't lie to customers. Check your facts before you run your mouth. How does it feel to be an internet ninja?

it is possible for a leak down test to look good and still use oil. If your oil ring is worn out, it will use oil and still get good compression. That is why Eddie told him the rings would need replaced even though the leak down looked good. (IMO I hate putting words in his mouth.)

I thought that I would update this thread for the benifit of other readers. First off, thanks to everyone for all of your input.

Second, youre the man Eddie! Didn't make sense but it was in fact the rings. The cylinder was still cross hatched and didn't need honing. We replaced the rings and it is 100% better!! Also, wanted to thank Sean from Damn Dummy Racing for all of the help with the install and great advice. If anyone lives in the San Diego area and is looking for a good local mechanic, he is 100% stand up! :thumbsup:

Eddie, You guys should come to socal and run Fontana with us one of these years!!:lol:

glad you got it sorted.

it is possible for a leak down test to look good and still use oil. If your oil ring is worn out, it will use oil and still get good compression. That is why Eddie told him the rings would need replaced even though the leak down looked good. (IMO I hate putting words in his mouth.)

exactly. :thumbsup:

Chinosupermotoman is saying 95psi because thats what was on the gauge. If the leak down test is performed at 100psi and 95psi is what the gauge shows then that means 5% leakage. What Chinosupermotoman should have said was that his motor had 5% leakage. So for your quote to say that Chino's mechanic is lying is a very quick assumption on your part. Chino should have explained himself better; however, you should accuse people of lying and/or ignorance on an issue that you do not have the facts. Calling out a mechanic on a site like this could potentially cause a loss of customers. If someone is dishonest or ripping people off than they should be called out. But for Wingman to say that Chino's mechanic is either lying, an idiot, or both is not exceptable.

Wingman-if you haven't figured it out yet, I'm Chino's mechanic. And I do know the difference between comp and leak down tests, and I don't lie to customers. Check your facts before you run your mouth. How does it feel to be an internet ninja?

easy killer,no one said anything about you or any one lying.

Thanks Eddie,couldn't have said it better.I honestly don't know how he read that into it.

Thanks Eddie,couldn't have said it better.I honestly don't know how he read that into it.

I think you ruffled Damn Dummys feathers because I posted what he did, which was a leak down, then you said that he didn't do a leak down which would sort of imply that I was decieved. I am not a mechanic so my language above may not have been correct and that may have been the reason for the misunderstanding.:lol: I apologize. :thumbsup: