Sign in to follow this  

Heat wrap

I believe some of the more popular heat wrap brands simply need to be put into water, then tightly wrapped around the pipe. I also believe with the kit you should be supplied with some little metal clips similar to that of an ace bandage to use on the ends of the wrap. Once the wrap is where you want it to be, you would start the bike up, and allow it to get to operating temp so the heat can harden the wrap. Not sure why you would really want to heat wrap a pipe on a dirt bike though. I would consider doing a cost/benefit analysis.

You burnt your leg while wearing riding pants and riding boots? Unless you let your pants bake on the pipe for an extended period of time, they aren't going to get ruined by incidental/accidental contact with the pipe.

The little metal bands that come with some wrap kits are a PIA to work with, as you have one chance to install it right the first time. You're better off using a regular Stainless Steel hose clamp.

HeboXR3.jpg

How would i install heat wrap on my exhaust pipe? glue? tip-tys?

Unless you let your pants bake on the pipe for an extended period of time, they aren't going to get ruined by incidental/accidental contact with the pipe.

uhh not quite. ive burnt my pants and leg twice on my crf450 header. those buggers get VERY VERY hot, it only takes a quarter second of contact, so I dont know there this "extended period of time" youre talking about comes from...

if youre on a 4 stroke.. no zip ties or glue will ever work. your header will melt those things so fast you wont even get into second gear and they will be falling off.