Sign in to follow this  

Why can't you hear thumpers shift?

I've noticed something. I ride a 2 stroke and you can always hear me grabbin gears. But the guys at Supercross and the real good guys at the track you can't hear them shift gears. It just sounds like they ride the whole track in one gear...Why is that?

So are these for people who cant ride clutches or are they for people who need to go faster on the track? How common are these things? Do you know if all the supercross guys use these?

So are these for people who cant ride clutches or are they for people who need to go faster on the track? How common are these things? Do you know if all the supercross guys use these?

1. no, they are for everyone

2. yes, they can help you go faster on a track

3. they are very common

4. I would bet a lot of then do so in case they go down, they don't have to start their bikes again.

When i ride on the sx track at the local tracks, i do stay in one gear. But its pretty noticeable that i'm in one gear. And on the big track i go between two gears, but when i shift its sometimes hard to tell that i shifted by just listening.

It's pretty hard to tell when a lawnmower changes rpms...:banana:

that's cause our kubota has hydrostats :lol:

Edited by CountryboyMX720
typo

Trey Canard said that in Atlanta he raced in 2nd gear only, the entire track, even jumping the quad. He said the bike has so much they palyed w/ the gearing and he raced in 2nd. Sounds pretty amazing.

MAX!!!

its hard to distinguish fart sounds... :banana:

LOL now that was funny.:lol: I take it your a 4-stroke hater.

you dont hear the shift because they are not shifting. think about it.

yes, i have a yz250 and a yz450f

When i ride on the sx track at the local tracks, i do stay in one gear. But its pretty noticeable that i'm in one gear. And on the big track i go between two gears, but when i shift its sometimes hard to tell that i shifted by just listening.

How did you get your bike to only need to shift once or twice? Do you have a recluse? Because I have a Cr 125 and I'm constantly shifting at every track I ride on and I feel its slowin me down because I'm always having to shift to make sure I'm in the right gear.

How did you get your bike to only need to shift once or twice? Do you have a recluse? Because I have a Cr 125 and I'm constantly shifting at every track I ride on and I feel its slowin me down because I'm always having to shift to make sure I'm in the right gear.

Well, it depends on your track. This track has fairly wide sweeping turns where you can carry enough momentum and speed to not need to shift. And on some of the bigger jumps, i just end up winding the bike out in that same gear. And no i don't have a recluse, just a stock 08 crf250r

that's because your on a 125, which you do have to shift alot.

most fast guy's will use 2nd-4th on most mx tracks, and 2nd/3ed on sx, the reason you cant hear them shifting is they way that they shift, some guy's like to think they're helping preserve they're engine or gearbox by letting off the throttle to shift, the fast guy's keep it help flat out, and use one of two methods, on a rough track they'll just put a small amount of pressure on the gear lever, when the back wheel hits a bump and get's airborne, thus unloading the transmision it will click up a gear all while never letting off the throttle, the other is called flat shifting, same principle, but you hold some pressure on the gear lever, and when you wanna change gear but flick the clutch.

I don't think they shift too often if any ... they use 3rd to race to the first corner and are fast enough to either keep it there or shift once and that is it ... 4th gear is out of the question on most of the SX tracks...

They do some down shifting in the air so you will never hear this but you can see it if you watch as they are airborne..

125 takes a ton of effort to ride ....shifting is just one good example but the throttle position is easy :banana:

I might be wrong but I don't think a rekluse clutch is allowed by the ama rules...

LOL now that was funny.:banana: I take it your a 4-stroke hater.

Own a KX450 but I'm getting there lol. 4 strokes sound decent when your riding em not so much from distance imo..

Wow you're one of the few. On the sx tracks I use 1st through 3rd a lot. Lots of shifting in the air to have the right power on the ground and be able to use engine braking to slow you down. On the outdoor tracks 2nd through 4th, sometimes 5th depending on the track, but timing isn't as important on the big tracks.

If you watch the sx guys closely (mainly the lites) you can see them change gears in probably half of the camera shots they're in. Daytona was very noticable for this.

This is a video from a while back. You can hear around 0:26 how I shift, but that's just me. Quick slip of the clutch and bang the next gear.

It's because they don't let off the throttle when they shift. Even on my 125, you can barely hear the shifting unless you really pay attention.

Whats your shifting method? Do you let out of the throttle or do you just stay in the throttle and slip the clutch?...

Whats your shifting method? Do you let out of the throttle or do you just stay in the throttle and slip the clutch?...
Full throttle. Clutch-less most of the time, but a slight tap of the clutch lever when necessary.