Sign in to follow this  

TE570 easy to convert to street legal?

Is the 2002 TE570 easy to convert to street legal? Is it set up for "brake lights" and a horn from the factory or will it need a lot of extras? This is in a state that's very peculiar about titling "off road only" bikes. What does the TE570 lack?

Is the 2002 TE570 easy to convert to street legal? Is it set up for "brake lights" and a horn from the factory or will it need a lot of extras? This is in a state that's very peculiar about titling "off road only" bikes. What does the TE570 lack?

Depends on your state and what your title says on it. I had no issues getting a plate for my 02 TE570 in Washington state.

the te570 is street legal the tc is offroad

Not here it's not. The bike currently has NO lights on it, but the owner has a headlight still in the box. He says there is no factory brake lights, or even switches on the lever or pedal. It HAS to have a brake light to be street legal. My guess is the bike COULD be titled in some states. But I can't risk buying it in NC and then finding out it can never be titled and plated.

The TE450 and 610 come from the dealership street legal....but the 570 does not.

As long as your state allows dirt bikes to be registered it would make a great DS bike. It already has a pretty powerful lighting coil, so depending on your state's requirements it could need very little or a lot of mods.

Lights and mirrors are easy. Turn signals, brake lights, a battery and a horn are more complex and could require you to rectify to a DC system.

I'd see what you DMV requires and call either Baja Designs or Trick Dual Sport if you need more than lights and mirrors.

As long as your state allows dirt bikes to be registered it would make a great DS bike. It already has a pretty powerful lighting coil, so depending on your state's requirements it could need very little or a lot of mods.

Lights and mirrors are easy. Turn signals, brake lights, a battery and a horn are more complex and could require you to rectify to a DC system.

I'd see what you DMV requires and call either Baja Designs or Trick Dual Sport if you need more than lights and mirrors.

The two things i did not like about mine on the street was lots of vibrations and no E-start if you kill it in traffic etc. Other than that it was a good DS bike. I miss mine.

Not here it's not. The bike currently has NO lights on it, but the owner has a headlight still in the box. He says there is no factory brake lights, or even switches on the lever or pedal. It HAS to have a brake light to be street legal. My guess is the bike COULD be titled in some states. But I can't risk buying it in NC and then finding out it can never be titled and plated.

The TE450 and 610 come from the dealership street legal....but the 570 does not.

There is/was no 570. It was always called a 610, but the engine displaces 577cc hench the 610 sometimes being called a 570. Also Husaberg makes a 570.

The TE610 has always been 50 state legal and the TC not. If the TE you are looking at is missing brake lights and such, then it's because the previous owner took them off.

TE610's were not street legal originally, the electric start e-models were, but not the much lighter kick only version, which morphed into the 570 in '01.

There is/was no 570. It was always called a 610, but the engine displaces 577cc hench the 610 sometimes being called a 570.

Uh....sure there is/was.........

2251030.jpg

The TE570 was a stripped down version....supposedly has a dry weight that's almost 50 pounds lighter than the TE610 (258.6 pounds vs 306.4 pounds) and is kick start only.. Hence, my asking how hard it is to get lights up and running. Overall it's quite different than the TE610. This one came from a NC dealership....not street legal.

Edited by TheBigKahuna

The two things i did not like about mine on the street was lots of vibrations and no E-start if you kill it in traffic etc. Other than that it was a good DS bike. I miss mine.

The lack of an e-start doesn't phase me, but they do vibrate a lot. My '95 610 is great around town, but no adventure bike.

I thought of getting an "e" model for longer street trips, but picked up a 605 ATK instead. Wish it had the 610's gear box.

That's a nice looking bike Kahuna, but it appears to be an '01. The '02 had yellow side panels I believe. does it have a Mikuni or Keihin carb?

but picked up a 605 ATK instead.

Funny, I had a 02 TE570...

339737497_Wkze8-L.jpg

And have a ATK 490...

602440768_e3jgL-L.jpg

Both odd and FUN!!!

Hmmm, I have never seen the kick only 570 be called a 570, always a 610. Just like I have a kick only 410 which is very different from the e start 410.

In regards to plating it, well I got a plate for my kick only 410. Has a headlight, tail light, mirror and working break light. No turn signals required in IL.