Sign in to follow this  

no spark!!!

Guys i need your help. '99 125 EXC. Last time it was ridden was about a year ago. I checked it for spark and nothing. I checked the wire harnesses and all wires and ground seem ok. I tried to check the kill switch, but can't see how you would go about taking this thing apart. Pulled the left had engine cover and everything seems ok. What do you guys think? How do i check if the CDI or stator is bad? What is the most likely cause?

the kill button unplugs at the wires on the frame.

If you have checked the wires as you say then look again for a burned wire from where it comes up from the case near the pipe, this happens sometimes.

After that its time to test the CDI and the stator. Dont know how to do it myself, sorry.

thanks. i checked the wires and all looked good.

someone HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Check for rust on the stator. Rust will build up and will have too much resistance on the pulser coil. If you don't take the stator cover off once in a while moisture will build up and cause rust. Contact cleaner and WD-40 goes a long way.

here is where I'm at. I changed the CDI and stator and nothing. What else can it be? this thing driving me crazy!!!!!!!!

Did you unplug the kill switch? It's confusing becase kill is when the wires ate connected through the switch ( or somewhere else) and run is when nothing is connected. This is because you ground out the spark to kill it. Hope this helps.

I would start with basics, NEW plug, check plug wire and cap, kill button, burned wires. This is all with no spark as the cause. I would also check the fuel supply to the spark plug. Since it sat it could be its not getting gas on the plug.

I got it started last night. Of all things, when i got the new stator in, i forgot to gournd one of the wires.

Thanks guys