Sign in to follow this  

xr 250r rear brake question??

hey guys, i have a question, a buddy of mine has an 85 xr 250r and it needs a new rear drum. we were thinking about converting it to disc. my quesiton is i saw that the 90 i believe xr250 have a rear disc can we just buy the whole setup rotor, caliper, pads, lines, hydrolics and master and just put it straight on his bike? or can we use a newer 250s rear brake setup and put it right on? thanks for the help guys!

Pretty sure you have to have to swap the whole swingarm and of course the newer bikes wheels and axles.

Is it a 17" wheel (my 85 350 is)? If so, then you'll be changing to 18" rear with the newer bikes. Higher seat height.

I have a 650L swingarm to put on mine, and a complete rear disk setup. Got $100 in those, but then I've got to scrap two 17" wheels (one set for street, so you really want the 17" and buy two 18" wheels (or 1 and a hub) to then build ANOTHER 17" wheel for the new setup. blahhhhhh

My rear drum will lock up the rear tire. As maximum braking force is just before the tire locks up, the drum can provide as much braking force as can be used. More power will not do anything to stop the bike any faster.

I got the swingarm/brake for the bling factor, because I've always got to be tinkering, but he reality is it's going to cost me $500 to do and I'm pretty sure it's not worth it in any logical sense. (JMO) :banana:

Probably just going to sit on the parts for now. I wanted to polish the swingarm, was part of it. Don't like my powercoated stocker as much now.

A method that I have used to compensate for a worn brake drum is to get the brake shoes relined by a local shop with linings that are thicker than stock.

I think it's possible but you would have to make some mounts for the caliper. Or you could just get the whole swingarm freom a newer bike. The 1990 modle is the first with disc brakes so I would be looking for one of them as it would be the most similar to yours. I'm have in the same problem but I never thought of converting to discs, I was just looking for a better condition wheel to put on.