Sign in to follow this  

are my chain and sprockets still usable?

while riding the YZ today, I was screaming up to a triple in 4th when all of a sudden the bike dies. so i roll off the track and start to take a look to find the chain dragging the ground and part of it wedged between the front sprocket and swingarm. got it home, removed the swingarm and freed the chain. there's a flat spot on one of the links and one of the teeth on the rear sprocket is chipped. (will get pics of that tomorrow) still havent started the bike to make sure the motor is okay. nor have i figured out what caused all of this because my chain was properly adjusted and lubed before every moto. However im curious as to whether or not you guys would still run that chain and sprocket?

here's two pics that i snapped before loading up to go home. will get detailed pics tomorrow:

IMG00420.jpg

IMG00419.jpg

Play it safe. Identify the cause, fix the issue, and replace the chain and both sprockets.

I also forgot to add that I recently put on new chain guides. front and rear. but i dont think that has anything to do with it. if anything, the new front chain slider saved my swingarm.

This happened to me twice in one weekend last year.

The first time it happened was due to the master link, it somehow flew off during practice. I did as you did, removed the swing arm and went back to practice

The next day in my 1st moto, I hit a step up and almost went over the bars. I got off the bike and saw my chain wadded up, again. This time it was due to the axle bolt missing. I must have forgotten to tighten it from the day before.

Anyway, I continued to run the same sprocket and chain w/ no issues. You just need to look at yours and evaluate them. Post some good pix of your sprocket.

Did you figure out what caused your chaing to come off?

What track were you at when this happened?

MAX!!!

thanks for the replies, guys. I got everything off last night, checked the chain and sprockets, and filed a nic on the sprocket. Today while i was at school my dad got everything back together for me. So i took it around the house and everything seems fine. So i guess i'll continue using this chain and sprockets unless it gives me trouble. Also, i still haven't figured out what caused the derailment. My guess is a rock or something.

to 06yz- I was riding at Thunder Valley Supercross

Wheel not aligned correctly. Do NOT trust the marks on the axle blocks and swingarm. Measure it from the swingarm pivot to the axle. Lucky it didn't take out the engine case.

So, what caused it to break in the first place? Without being able to identify that, I would replace everything. The cost of two sprockets is nothing compared to the damage to the bike, or you, this could have caused.

Maybe Hackman162 is right. when i readjusted the wheel today (from the spot it was in when the chain derailed) the marks did seem slightly off. maybe this was the cause....