yz125 05 to 08 updates improvements

I am looking at a nearly new condition 2006 for $2000.

The only concern I have is that it has the older style fixed bar mount top clamp and I read somewhere that one of the 06 updates included rubber removable bar clamps like what I know the 2008 has.

could the update been made mid year?

I would hate to find out that this bike has the 05 front end and forks for some reason, any way to verify it has the speed sensitive forks?

Another observation is that it has a 756 donlop on rear with the hardpack style tire on the front, I was told thats what came on it?

Any one know what were the main updates from 05 to 06 and up to 08

I went through this last month, wanting to make sure it had the SSS forks. There should be a thread in the suspension forum about it, about 3 weeks old.

All 2006 and up YZ125's and YZ250's got the SSS forks.

....The '08 and up though got the 4-mm shorter forks.

On the YZ125 engine, improvements to the '06 from the '05 engine include:

1. Cylinder head improvement - gentler slope of the squish provides better flame path, thus cleaner burn and crisper low-to-mid transition

2. Carburator - carb gets one-less bypass port to lessen fuel flow at low rpm. When combned with the new needle 6BFY42-74 the resulting a leaner mixture snaps the engine response time off-idle

3. Power valve - stiffer powervalve spring that opens the PV for an extra 500 rpm (9000 rpm to 9500 rpm)

4. Ignition - a new CDI unit is provided combined with a new platinum-alloy plug (NGK BR9EVX) that produces a more intense spark

Edited by 4T_thumbs_down

This bike i am looking at is for sure an 06, in the same garage is a 05 YZ250 , i did not look at 250 close but suspect maybe the complete front ends had been swapped? since this 06 YZ125 bike has the old style top clamp and the front tire is not a match to the 756 on the rear.

This bike i am looking at is for sure an 06, in the same garage is a 05 YZ250 , i did not look at 250 close but suspect maybe the complete front ends had been swapped? since this 06 YZ125 bike has the old style top clamp and the front tire is not a match to the 756 on the rear.

Look for the 10th digit in the VIN (right side of the aluminum frame at the steering stem). It should be "6" indicating 2006 model.

If the owner swapped the forks in hopes of tricking you then checking the vin for the 10th digit won't matter. Look at the top of the forks, the top cap should be anodized a golden/light brown color with the comp adjuster in the middle and a flat head bolt off to the side (releases air)

All 2006 and up YZ125's and YZ250's got the SSS forks.

....The '08 and up though got the 4-mm shorter forks.

On the YZ125 engine, improvements to the '06 from the '05 engine include:

1. Cylinder head improvement - gentler slope of the squish provides better flame path, thus cleaner burn and crisper low-to-mid transition

2. Carburator - carb gets one-less bypass port to lessen fuel flow at low rpm. When combned with the new needle 6BFY42-74 the resulting a leaner mixture snaps the engine response time off-idle

3. Power valve - stiffer powervalve spring that opens the PV for an extra 500 rpm (9000 rpm to 9500 rpm)

4. Ignition - a new CDI unit is provided combined with a new platinum-alloy plug (NGK BR9EVX) that produces a more intense spark

Well I think the OP and myself were concerned with them swapping the forks. What yamaha put on dirtbikes and what you see on craigslist are diferent sometimes!