ktm 200 countershaft sprocket leak!

have you changed the complete assembly? seal, bushing, oring? I bought the complete kit from Munn almost 2 years ago and haven't had a leak since.

if so, when I hear this, I think "chain too tight".

some front sprockets are too thin to compress the system well enough, or the C clip that holds the assembly doesn't put enough pressure on the system.

pull the shock, put the rear axle in line with the swingarm and front sprocket and put just a tad bit of slack in it there. Re assemble.

Welcome to Thumper Talk.

There have been tons of threads on this and it is a common problem on all the KTM's. It is easy to fix you just have to understand it.

Go to the FAQ's sticky at the top of this page and under that go to general FAQ's. There is a section on how to fix this leak. Some of this is discussed there part way down the page Here There is also a lot of other good maintenance tips there.

Since it is your first post, and you are from Tennessee, I well elaborate. :banana:

There are three ways it could leak and reasons for each one. 1) from the o-ring under the collar, 2) from the seal / collar worn, 3) The chain is too tight and pulling on the counter shaft very hard causing the seal to gap and 4) it is leaking around the outside of the seal where it is pressed in. This is the least likely.

1)The o-ring could be leaking. Did you replace it along with the seal. It can leak because it is not pushed in and compressed tightly, like from a thinner after market front sprocket, you can make a shim(s) from a plastic Coke bottle or add another o-ring under the sprocket. Add either the o-ring or plastic shim between the sleeve (#34) and sprocket (#29) to keep pressure applied to compress the other 0-ring (#35) on the inside and keep it from leaking. It wont seal if there is no pressure on it. There should be no slop in and out on the whole stack up as you check by pushing in and out on the sprocket. If there is any, then shim it. There should be some interference as you put the clip ring (#28) over the sprocket. If you don't have to push in on the sprocket a little to get the clip on you are going to have a problem (leak) coming out from the inside of the sleeve (#34).

2)The seal could be leaking because the collar it seals against is worn and has grooves in it where the seal, filled with dirt, has been riding on it.. It usually gets grooved like this and the collar needs to be replace along with the seal. . Did you inspect or replace the collar #34. If you are not replacing the seal obviously remove any dirt packed in there and clean it out so it doesn't wear out the collar. Weather installing a new seal or using the old one, clean and grease the inside of the seal lips, the o-ring(s), and the space between the sleeve and the shaft. Pack and grease everything with BelRay waterproof grease or at least some kind of water proof grease. This will make is last a lot longer by keeping dirt and water out longer, etc.

3)Chain too tight. It doesn't need to be as tight as you think. It gets the tightest when the swing arm is compressed to the point were the sprocket, swing arm pivot, and axle are all in line. Make sure it is not too tight.

4)Leaking around the outside of the seal where it presses into the case. Not likely the problem, but I install the seal with some blue Loctite on the pressed in flange.

Gary

oem_part_images%5C2007_200XC35.gif

Keep good CS sprokets on it (Dirt tricks or OEM) and keep a few o-rings around.

The 200's never completely stop leaking there, and when mine leaves a small puddle it's time for a CS sproket. Don't waist money putting seals in, 90 % of it is the o-ring behind the spacer.

Keep good CS sprokets on it (Dirt tricks or OEM) and keep a few o-rings around.

The 200's never completely stop leaking there, and when mine leaves a small puddle it's time for a CS sproket. Don't waist money putting seals in, 90 % of it is the o-ring behind the spacer.

mine hasn't leaked in 2 yrs....at all. Lucky I guess.

Yeah, no offense, but: I have a 250 and it is basically the same. The only difference is the big bikes don't have the stop ring (washer thing) between the collar/o-ring and the shaft bearing. I don't know why folks seem to have more problems on the 200. Maybe the shaft size being smaller on a 200 and chain tightening issues and the fact that the chain looks really loose an all of them when it is just loose enough or maybe they have more aftermarket sprocket combination issues that require shimming to keep the o-ring from leaking and folks aren't shimming them.

Mine leaked when I got it. The collar was very grooved and there was dirt in between the seal lips. I fixed it which required replacing the seal, o-ring, and collar on mine. I run an after market sprocket and it hasn't leaked since. I run it packed with BelRay water proof grease. I don't see the problem.

Gary

mine hasn't leaked in 2 yrs....at all. Lucky I guess.

mine is still pretty new, only 9300 miles on it. Leaked briefly, but i just wiped out the seal and it stopped. I did have to replace the seal and o-ring in my 2004 250 after less than 5000 miles, but it's been good since then.