Sign in to follow this  

Jetting help

I recently picked up an '07 CRF230f and removed the snorkel and baffle. I also replaced the air filter with a Uni-filter. When I replaced the pilot jet with a #45 the fuel screw was 3 turns out, so I tried a #48 pilot and the fuel screw is now 1 turn out. Now for my dilemma. The power up needle is raised all the way (clip in the bottom position - 5th) and the main jet is a #135 and I am running lean. Doing a plug check from a 1/2 throttle run as well as a full throttle run gives me a white plug. I know I can go bigger on the main if I need to but what are my options when the power up needle is in the richest position and it's still lean (I don't want to restrict air flow to compensate).

thats big jets to be running lean,I'm running a 48P and a 120M clip in 4th position.My plug shows running rich,was thinking of dropping to a 45P.You should check for air leaks around the carb or intake,seems to me you should be running on the rich side if anything.

Thanks etuke. I have the same opinion you do. I have checked for air leaks and didn't find any. I guess I could always put the snorkel back in or something, it's just I don't want to.

Keep in mind, the size of the optimum main jet is affected by the type of needle. I believe the Power-up needle has a different shape than the OEM needle? I think that's why the Power-up kit comes with such large main jets? But, I also agree you should check for an air leak if you are still lean.:banana:

Doing a plug check from a 1/2 throttle run as well as a full throttle run gives me a white plug.
You can't reliably do a plug check with modern fuel. You have three choices:

1. Use an AFR probe to read the air/fuel ratio.

2. Seat of the pants - ride and see how the engine responds. Adjust as needed.

3. Ride 5 miles or so and then check the plug.

I do #2 first, then when I think it's ok, I do #3.

Keep notes and try to make sense of how the engine responds as you make changes.

Confirm this approach with Eddie the jetting expert in the "Intake - Jetting / Fuel Injection" forum.

The bike runs great. I always have that fear of running lean because of the damage it can cause. I will hop over to the Jetting Forum and see what I can find over there - thanks.